LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...As it says, i have a new built 4l60e coming for my 95 TA tomorrow...Anyone have any install tips or tricks that may save me some trouble or problems...Any and all suggestions and advice is appreciated...Thanks!:surprise:

·
Global Moderator
12,962 Posts
Get someone else to install it. But seriously, lying on your back installing a 140 pound transmission is a pita.

If you have access to a lift and a transmission jack, the job will be much easier.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get someone else to install it. But seriously, lying on your back installing a 140 pound transmission is a pita.

If you have access to a lift and a transmission jack, the job will be much easier.
Thanks cocobolo95, i have neither lol....Anyways, before i install the new torque converter, is it advised to add transmission fluid to the converter first or??? Also, what is a good fluid to use in a brand new built reman transmission?

Thanks!:wink2:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Installation is reverse of removal. Do You have the old one out?

It wasn't too bad when I was younger in 2002/3. Had car on 4 jack stands.

I used Mobil 1 on my transmission from the bone yard. I probably put some fluid in the new converter.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Take a hammer and pound out the tunnel on the drivers side where the middle trans bellhousing to engine bolt goes. It'll make your life much much easier.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Take a hammer and pound out the tunnel on the drivers side where the middle trans bellhousing to engine bolt goes. It'll make your life much much easier.
[Covers ears...] What the heck for? :surprise:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I would just lower the back of engine/trans and that should give you room to get bellhousing bolts out.
Actually it did...I had no problem getting that bolt that everyone speaks of out...Thanks guys! I did however have to swap my tail shaft over which was no big deal.....

·
Registered
585 Posts
I had a hell of a time with my trans cooler lines. Especially since the one nut was starting to round. I probably shouldn't have waited until I bolTed the whole thing in (or got a new line)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is done....100 degrees today with 100% humidity and i worked out in it all day lol. Only trouble i had was when i let the tranny slip off the jack and onto my chest...OUCH. Anyways, everything is back in the way it is supposed to be, all clearances from the flywheel to the converter are good and i can say that i did it all myself...Cant never find anyone that owes you a favor when you need it...Oh well, makes me appreciate it that much more....Thanks for the help guys!......:)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Yup.
[Covers ears...] What the heck for?
I would just lower the back of engine/trans and that should give you room to get bellhousing bolts out.
That doesn't help when the bolt is so close to the tunnel that the socket doesn't get on it. I always go from the back with long extensions. But I also had to clearance the tunnel away from the bell housing around that 1 bolt. Only needed 1/4" or so more space.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Strange. I didn't have any issues with long extensions. Had a couple swivel joints on them. Might have used a mid length socket. Not sure at what point I replaced my motor mounts(regular gm) in the process.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
That doesn't help when the bolt is so close to the tunnel that the socket doesn't get on it. I always go from the back with long extensions. But I also had to clearance the tunnel away from the bell housing around that 1 bolt. Only needed 1/4" or so more space.
Yeah, you just can't use a 3/8 socket on that one. If you just break it loose with a box end wrench and then run it out with a 1/4" universal joint socket (wobbly), you can avoid beating on stuff, which is a definite no-no in the professional world.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Actually it did...I had no problem getting that bolt that everyone speaks of out...Thanks guys! I did however have to swap my tail shaft over which was no big deal.....
Who did you get that transmission from? They seem pretty proud of their Transgo sticker!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Who did you get that transmission from? They seem pretty proud of their Transgo sticker!
Dynamic, i noticed that sticker also lol...started to remove it but figured knowing my luck it would void my warranty lol...its a custom build from Transmission Kings out of Richmond VA. it was about the best deal i could afford on my budget with any kind of warranty. i researched them some and seen some negative stuff from back in 2009 and 2010 but i also found positive stuff so i figured i would take a chance...hope i didnt mess up, i am getting ready to add the fluid and try it out here in a little bit......:LS1LT1flag:wish me luck!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Dynamic, i noticed that sticker also lol...started to remove it but figured knowing my luck it would void my warranty lol...its a custom build from Transmission Kings out of Richmond VA. it was about the best deal i could afford on my budget with any kind of warranty. i researched them some and seen some negative stuff from back in 2009 and 2010 but i also found positive stuff so i figured i would take a chance...hope i didnt mess up, i am getting ready to add the fluid and try it out here in a little bit......:LS1LT1flag:wish me luck!
I have never heard of them, and don't know anything about them. But, we'll keep our fingers crossed! Good luck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have never heard of them, and don't know anything about them. But, we'll keep our fingers crossed! Good luck!
Just a little feedback on the Dynamic transmission i ordered...So far it is AWESOME. Shifts great and good and firm. I have only put maybe 50 miles or so on it but so far it is amazing...If anything changes i will report back but from what i have seen so far it is a quality build.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts