LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have a 97 LT1 that I will be swapping into my 92 RS. I have already dealt with the 92s original VATS and was wondering If I can somehow do the same with the new 97 system. I got the full harness and saw some spliced cables and did not get a close look but seems like some of the interior wiring, I will confirm today but even then can I just go to a yard, pick up a VATS box from any 4th gen no matter engine size and bypass it like I did to my 92 via resistor?

If not then my next choice is tuning it out, I see LT1PCMTuning does it for $80. Good price even more when I can get emission stuff deleted as well but how much would just the hardware cost and does anyone sell just the hardware without bundling their software?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Tell you what, If I was going to put a 97 engine in a 92 I would convert it to a '95 ODB1 M6 PCM and then buy the lower cost ODB1 software and cable to tune it myself. The '97 is OBD2 and much more complex and expensive for DIY. The way things go you are most likely going to hit quite a few tuning issues along the way and DIY tuning will be a lot faster than sending it out for each problem. In answer to your question the PCM looks for a square wave signal (50 or 60 HZ ??) from the VATS module, if it's there, the PCM then picks the injectors to allow startup. You can buy a VATs bypass module on ebay that will send a 'phony' square wave signal to the PCM. Or you could get it tuned out. You also have VSS and other emission stuff that will require tuning, a good tuner would know all that is needed for your setup..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts