LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn’t a question on how to, because I’ve used other threads on this website for that and mostly it went well. However, when I got the drivers side head loosened, it leaked a ton of antifreeze out of the sides. I drained the radiator before starting this, but I still figured some antifreeze coming out of the head would be ok, but this was a lot, like a quarter gallon. I’m worried that some of that antifreeze May have leaked down into the oil.
My plan for now is to continue with the passenger side, put it all back together, flush the oil that’s in there, put some cheap stuff on, then maybe turn the engine by hand a few times (or run the oil pump with a drill), and then flush the engine oil again.
My question is, is this normal? Am I overthinking this? My head gaskets are in terrible shape, I am actually shocked I didn’t spin a bearing before I parked the car. Is there any other precaution I can make to try and get any coolant out of the oil without it going into the main bearings?
Prior to tackling the head gaskets I did an oil change and there was no coolant in the oil. The only reason I knew there was a head gasket issue is because the system was pushing coolant out into the overflow tank non stop. I had to keep topping it off.

·
Global Moderator
13,110 Posts
If you cleaned the coolant out of the cylinders quickly, you should get a lot of coolant in the oil. Don't crank engine until you drain oil out. Some coolant probably went down oil return holes, but I believe most would go into cylinders.

Blown head gaskets produce other symptoms besides coolant in oil. The symptoms depend on where hg blew out at.

Because LT1 doesn't have a top mounted distributor like regular sbc engine has, you can't spin oil pump with a drill.

When you pull passenger side head, clean coolant that fell into cylinders right away. As long as engine isn't turned over with coolant in oil, an oil change will do the job.

If engine is turned over with coolant in oil, it will be pumped to al parts of engine that get oiled, and make a big mess. Not to mention being bad for the crank & cam bearings.

So don't turn engine over until oil is changed. And let oil drain for 24 hours to make sure all coolant has drained out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Very good information. I read elsewhere that the oil pump could be manually turned with a power tool, but I suppose that must be wrong. I will drain the oil once I have the new gaskets in, and let is all drain out for several days probably. Then put in cheap oil, let it sit a day, and then drain that too.

I really dont want to pull the engine and rebuild the bottom end, so I am going to go to extra lengths to make sure every drop of coolant comes out of there. would hate to do all this work on the head gaskets and then spin a bearing.

·
Global Moderator
13,110 Posts
If intake manifold is off, like in head gasket replacement, you can access to hole that distributor used to be in sbc engines.

But, if you have not cranked engine over while or after getting coolant dumped into cylinders and oil return holes, there will only be coolant in oil pan. Bearing caps will keep coolant out of main & rod bearings.

It's only after turning engine over or driving oil pump with a drill that coolant would be circulated through engine. Since you haven't turned engine over, you should be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts