LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum just got a 1995 Firebird with a lt1 paint looks rough looking for a complete make over. Looking for some ideas,affordable but still look good. I'm in high school so on a tight budget but looking to fix up a bad a** car before I join the Marines.

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
how rough are we talking? you can do a lot with polish.

a diy paint job for a first timer will probably not go well unless you have a nice garage to work in, turn into a makeshift booth, and spend quite a bit of prep time.

·
Global Moderator
12,962 Posts
For the 1st time painter, a lacquer paint job is the way to go. Because of it's fast drying time, you can repair runs and sags within a couple of hours of painting the car.

A downside of lacquer is that it must be buffed out to get a good shine going.

Dupli color makes a line of lacquer paint that is sold in auto parts stores. It comes pre mixed with thinner in quart cans. I estimate 6 to 8 quarts to paint a f-body.

You can also get automotive grade lacquer online. It will come in gallon cans and you need to buy lacquer thinner to thin the paint. Do a search online for "automotive lacquer". 1 gallon of paint will make 2 gallons of sprayable mixture.

Lacquer, unlike other kinds of paint, is thinned at least 100%.

If you decide to actually do the paint job, I can give you more specific instructions on prep, materials needed, equipment needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts