LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i own a 94 trans am gt which has the 2 piece 4 pin coil

the problem is i bought a msd 8231 with out even noticing the connectors where different

the question is can you convert a 2 plug 4 wire coil connector to a 3 wire coil connector

ive searched and found very little theres a small tut. on

LT4 coil on LT1 question! - Corvette Forum

what would i have to do concerning my tach wire any one have a slighty longer tutorial

if it helps i also have the icm that its been ran with

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so iknow the $arly lts use coil. driven tach while later use ecm for tach I havea red a white awhite/black and black wire on my coil ifound a plug on my smog that works for the icm input ut the wires are lack red red what wires do I wire to the later style connector sorry if im a hassle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry if that looked horrible i was at work and my droid 2 is falling apart anyway

i have the old connector i cut off from the 94 smog pump if you shave of a small area with a razor blade it works great .

this connector fits smooth and tight so what id like to do is wire the 4 wire coil connector to the 3 wire smog pump adapted pigtail the schematic says the color but not the purpose or 4 wire connector (guess hot,ground,icm signal, icm signal ground )the 96-97 looks as if its saying only two pins where used (although i might just be looking at it wrong

i know the the 94 lt1 use coil driven tach while 96 used pcm

can i run hot-hot icm signal-icm signal(assuming thats what that wire is) and ground to ground,icm signal ground?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not sure how id wire it with out a connector (doesnt have those little holes at the tips like older gm pigtails not to mention cross arching )

im not trying to run the smog and coil together i have pacesetters so i no longer need any of the left over emission stuff

if you look at the two connectors the actual pigtail connector is the same besides the extra slot thats blocked on the smog connector

the connector below is the same connector the area im referring to is in the picture if you look it goes (black)pin-hole-(red)pin-hole (red)pin the second hole , the one on the right you have to remove that little bit of the connect between the two red wires to allow for the slot in the coil.

ok i was under the impression 93-95 where tach driven ,but shbox your the expert when it comes to these motors

Air Pump Connector - Vortec Cam Sensor on 1998-1999 products, buy Air Pump Connector - Vortec Cam Sensor on 1998-1999 products from alibaba.com

i still cant find anything saying what the two wires (white/white black) do and if i can ether wire white black &ground to ground hot to hot and white wire to icm?

like i said i may need some help reading the 96 schematic it looks

239pink and 1848 green are the only 2 i see followed by there only being a A&B no C\
http://shbox.com/1/1996_ec_03_ign_system.jpg

maybe a better question is can you tell me what the 97 3 wires (colors?) control

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I'm not saying you don't need a connector. You need the right one and the AIR pump one isn't it from documentation I have. You need a coil single connector pigtail. If you think you can take the one off for the AIR pump and use it, then that's up to you.

The single connector coil only uses two wires (in A and B). The schematic shows A is the ignition positive voltage (+12v) and B is the primary coil driver (coming from D of the ICM). From what I see, you need to join the +12v power (pink wire from fuse) going to the old coil connector to the pink/black (from ICM A to old coil connector) to get your ignition positive voltage and then to new coil A).
D from the ICM (white/black) goes to B on the new coil.

I have not done this myself, so don't take my advice as gospel. I take no responsibility for any potential issues or something I goofed up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
96 ignition coil connector

Nook and Tranny: Wiring Connector, 96-97 LT1 Ignition Coil

94 smog pigtail

Air Pump Connector - Vortec Cam Sensor on 1998-1999 products, buy Air Pump Connector - Vortec Cam Sensor on 1998-1999 products from alibaba.com

very little difference

shbox what ur saying seems logical i have a new icm opti pcm and old coil if something goes wrong

been tracing a random instantaneous dying issue for months hoping this might work idk worth a shot

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
next question is what about this coil wire its a dual female coil wire unlike the 90 degree boot on 94 was going to cut two wires but there filled with fiberglass like material no wire

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
next question is what about this coil wire its a dual female coil wire unlike the 90 degree boot on 94 was going to cut two wires but there filled with fiberglass like material no wire
Why are you going to cut it? You need the later style coil wire with the right boots on both ends. Most modern coil and plug wires have no "wire" in them. they have a carbon core for EMI suppression.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ive never cut into new plugs untill now so i had no idea about the carbon core ( cool though)

i have a extra set of wires i bought so i could replace the number 7 wire when it burnt up

the optispark side of the plugs fit the coil so i wanted to cut the boot and nipple off the end of the spark plug wire so that id have a coil wire with two optispark sides

aftermarket kits do not contain the right coil wire for the 96 instead they come with the 95 style 90 degree boot ,gm does carry it for $24

96 coil is able to supply higher rpm spark and the connector for the coil wire as a more soild connection then the 90 degree boots the 96 icm is also slightly different from the rest providing again high rpm constant spark

all this only helps if you plan on taking your car past the 5700 gm recommends OR if you already have one like me and need to replace the part

so is there anyway for the common mechanic to splice into the carbon core to replace or repair part of the wire

·
Registered
35 Posts
Why not sell the incorrect coil and buy the correct one for your vehicle, would seem to be a lot less hassle than rewiring the incorrect part into your car. Wont look like it's been butchered either, Frankenstein effect.
IMO.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
ive never cut into new plugs untill now so i had no idea about the carbon core ( cool though)

i have a extra set of wires i bought so i could replace the number 7 wire when it burnt up

the optispark side of the plugs fit the coil so i wanted to cut the boot and nipple off the end of the spark plug wire so that id have a coil wire with two optispark sides

aftermarket kits do not contain the right coil wire for the 96 instead they come with the 95 style 90 degree boot ,gm does carry it for $24

96 coil is able to supply higher rpm spark and the connector for the coil wire as a more soild connection then the 90 degree boots the 96 icm is also slightly different from the rest providing again high rpm constant spark

all this only helps if you plan on taking your car past the 5700 gm recommends OR if you already have one like me and need to replace the part

so is there anyway for the common mechanic to splice into the carbon core to replace or repair part of the wire
Aftermarket LT1 plug wire sets normally come with BOTH types of coil wires, so they can be used on any year. I've seen plenty of threads where people did not first understand why their new set had two coil wires.

If you want to make your own wire, you just treat the carbon core like it is a normal wire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts