LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Firebird Trans am WS6 M6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 ws6 m6, I’ve had this problem for a month now and can’t take it anymore. I can’t tap the gas without it dropping down near 500-700 rmps then bouncing back up to settle back down. I also can’t gun it because the rpms will drop and take a second or two to jump all the way to where its supposed to be. This becomes extremely annoying when I need to downshift or drive off from hill or incline. For the time being I’ve just been ever so slowly stepping on the gas to let it pick up some rpms so I can take off and put a bit more power down. Had a big vacuum leak from the elbow connected to the PCV valve, so that got fixed last night. Before I fixed the leak I had p0171 & p0174 up, but they disappeared as soon as the leak got fixed. This still did not fix my problem as it still did the same thing. After the same rpm drop was still occurring, I decided to erase all the codes to see if that will fix the problem, and it didn’t. Before a erased the codes last night I had p0125 & p0507. Have not driven the car yet to see it they will come up again.

opti/spark plugs????

I really want to solve this issue as soon as possible. Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!! 👍🏽

One more thing. I do have a gas leak at the cap. The “OEM” cap I got from summit does not seal the gas neck. There’s like a cm of space from the rubber gasket on the cap to where it supposed to make contact on the neck of the gas tank.

·
Global Moderator
13,678 Posts
Does your scanner have running sensor data capability? If yes, do a running sensor scan. My 1st choice as suspect would be the throttle position sensor. I'm thinking it has an open circuit when you tap on gas pedal. TPS should show a smooth increse opening from throttle body closed to wot.

If TPS isn't the offending part, pay attention to the rest of the sensor readings to see if anything is amiss. If you haven't a clue to what the sensor data means, PM me with your email address. I'll send you the pdf file " scanner readings and what they mean."

·
Registered
1997 Firebird Trans am WS6 M6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your scanner have running sensor data capability? If yes, do a running sensor scan. My 1st choice as suspect would be the throttle position sensor. I'm thinking it has an open circuit when you tap on gas pedal. TPS should show a smooth increse opening from throttle body closed to wot.

If TPS isn't the offending part, pay attention to the rest of the sensor readings to see if anything is amiss. If you haven't a clue to what the sensor data means, PM me with your email address. I'll send you the pdf file " scanner readings and what they mean."
I just got a new obd scanner a day or two ago. It’s a OBDLink MX+. It has a bunch of sensor data gauges. The closest thing I can find to a TPS is a “Absolute Throttle Position” gauge. Just added it to my phones digital dash using the the app the scanner came with. I linked the photo of the gauges. Not in my car right now, but it wouldn’t make a difference because I’m not sure what the sensor data would mean, so I sent a pm of my email to you.

I’m also linked a photo of the rest of the sensor data I can see on a gauge that are related toe throttle. Is there a better one to choose?

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts