LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, basically my brother has a 92 TA 305. Wanted to know if you guys could tell me what kind of potential these cars have? Whats the best stuff to put on? If you guys know of any sites that can tell me about the car that would be great.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dang, I don't think i will get a response till tomorrow seeing how no one is on. Except me :thumbsup:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Potential with regard to what? Is it TPI or TBI?

For thirdgens I'm typically all about the heads, but where the car has only the 305 you have to seriously consider how you want to approach a few things. Main thing to consider is will the 305 stay or will it eventually be replaced bya 350? If TBI will you convert it to TPI or carb? After that you can concentrate on what else to buy for the car.

That said you certainly can free up the crummy exhaust if it's stock. Get headers, high-flow cat and a cat-back for the TPI (even if it's a TBI get the ones for the TPI).

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Its a 92 so its tpi. Not much you can do to it to make it fast. You can get the lingenfelter tpi stuff which flows good. And yes free up that exhaust.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok, that helped me out a bit. Is it possible to get around 320hp with a cam and ported heads yet still be streetable? Thanks a bunch so far guys.

·
Registered
838 Posts
1970judge said:
Its a 92 so its tpi. Not much you can do to it to make it fast. You can get the lingenfelter tpi stuff which flows good. And yes free up that exhaust.
TBI's, IIRC still were used in '92 with a whopping 160 or 170 hp... not in the t/a or Z28s I don't think, but still being used, regardless, you can't assume what's under the hood until you're told, it's asinine. Tell me what's under my '89 GTA, I'll even tell you the VIN code is '8'. :p

Why can't you make 'em fast?

I personally like the AS&M LTRs and a Big Mouth base for stock appearing. Lingenfelter's stuff is a PITA. Other than that, a miniram will do just fine... but again, look to the heads on these things.

Maybe Chris can get off his ass and run his T/A and tell us what he gets... finally. :poke:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the 305 has potential to leak oil

for the ease of things, id personally get a carbbed 350, then again if your swapping motors why not go bigger

if you want to stay 305, all i can really think of is headers back, high-flow air filter, H/C, nitrous, blower
and if its auto, stall, shift-kit, and beef up the rear

·
Registered
482 Posts
Empire said:
Ok, that helped me out a bit. Is it possible to get around 320hp with a cam and ported heads yet still be streetable? Thanks a bunch so far guys.
Nitrous would be the easiest way...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, he told me its a TPI, 305 stock 205hp and 285 lb feet of torque

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Empire said:
Alright, he told me its a TPI, 305 stock 205hp and 285 lb feet of torque
Good, that puts him way ahead of a garbage TBI package. Exhaust/headers/air intake/upper plenum porting would be my first moves.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi everyone. My brother is Empire - he's asking about my car. What is the main difference between TBI and TPI? Thanks for all your suggestions so far.

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
1970judge said:
Are you serious? Always things that can be done.

Best thing... Throw in a 350 even if its a stocker rebuild. Then some intake pieces, exhaust and see what it will do. Guy on TGO who goes by Traxion went 11s on a stock bottom ended 350. Just depends on what you want to spend on headers, and aftermarket intakes... short runner and a big cam will get you a good ways...

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Fenster said:
Are you serious? Always things that can be done.

Best thing... Throw in a 350 even if its a stocker rebuild. Then some intake pieces, exhaust and see what it will do. Guy on TGO who goes by Traxion went 11s on a stock bottom ended 350. Just depends on what you want to spend on headers, and aftermarket intakes... short runner and a big cam will get you a good ways...
Yep, its just a small block Chevy. All applicable stuff applies.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
PontiacManDan said:
Hi everyone. My brother is Empire - he's asking about my car. What is the main difference between TBI and TPI? Thanks for all your suggestions so far.
TBI - Throttle Body Injection, lookes like a carbuator with two injectors sitting on top of it

TPI - Tuned Port Injection, one injector per cylinder, so you will have a total of 8 injectors, its way all new cars are being built

TPI is more percise with its A/F ratios, which equals more power

personally i wouldnt waste my time with TBI, if thats what you got either backwards convert it to a carbuated system or do a major overhaul to convert to TPI, id go the carbuated route

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
TPI's airflow capabilities are superior too. TBI is also flow limited by the injectors to about 300 crank HP. There's not an injector for TBI out there big enough to support more HP.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
There's not. There's 305, 350 and 454 sized OEM injectors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I checked - I have TPI. Is TBI the reason that 3rd gen Z28's and Formula's have 170hp while SS's and T/A's have 205hp even though both have the same size block?

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
It's more the heads (swirlport), cam (lame), and exhaust (tiny) that held back the factory TBI. It's a speed density system, so is highly dependant upon PROM table assumptions for flow, displacement, etc. If you change anything, like installing headers, figure on needing to change the PROM tables.

In '90, TPI also became SD, so a lot of the same things applied. It had better heads & cam, but the 205 horse version had the small exhaust.

Many people have put 350s under their 3rd gen TBI with good heads, good cam, and good exhaust. Better flowing TBI manifolds are available, as are adapters to mount the TB on aftermarket intake manifolds. Use of the aforementioned 350 or 454 injectors, as well as the 454 TB itself being bigger, is common. As good as or better power is available with TB if done correctly. However, the aftermarket support isn't there for it, so it's typically easier/quicker/cheaper to either go TPI or carb.

For the record, a '92 305 could also be 230 horse. It'll have dual cats and manual transmission if that's the case.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts