LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at a 2005 Corvette Ls2 with 91,800 miles on it. They say 249.00 a month and my insurance will add 71.00. So abt 325.00 a month. Is 27,000 a good price for this vette? I love my LT1 trans am but they will give me 5,800$ for it as it sits. Like i can drive off the lot in 2 hrs. Does anybody know if the 05 vette is fast? Like fast fast ?
I would appreciate some advice from u guys, as u have always helped out this newb. Thx.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I dont know what your monthly income is and what your monthly living expenses are so it is a difficult question to answer.
If that kind of payment will really strap you,then you need to ask yourself
will I even have enough money to fill the gas tank ? Will you still have
extra money to do the maintenance needed to the car? What if something breaks ,can you afford to fix it? Personally I think a Corvette is the type of car that makes a nice second car. Its not a good car to drive around in the snow or heavy rain. Even though they are now a pretty reliable car they are not a good daily driver,and its only a two passenger car.Now, I
once had a very nice 1965 Corvette Roadster, unfortunately I had to sell it. I would like to buy another Vette when I can,but I am not sure that a Corvette is your vehicle at this time of your life. ed

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya man im still thinking of that. I mean i had a 92 ZR1 when i was 16 that my dad so graciously gave me and i rewarded him with a nasty speeding ticket 118 n a 65 and i lost my license until i turned 18. Im 20 now.
But i have a clean record.
I make 10 an hour so i can afford it i think, i do appreciate the advice man. I am leaning more torwards waiting on later in life to get one. Like 2 more years. But still, if Its a good deal ill always kick myswlf for passing it up.

·
Registered
807 Posts
A corvette is usually the type car that goes thru many owners,A person gets romantically involved with a Vette and just has to have one. They go buy it and find out how impractical it is. You can only fit one extra person, You cant haul much of anything in it, not at all fun to drive in bad weather,parts are generally expensive and so on. I think there will always be "good deals " on later model vettes. The one you are looking at has almost 100,000 miles on it . If this is something that you wanted as a second car ,it has to much mileage on it to be a "keeper" ed

·
Registered
406 Posts
Just my opinion here.. at 20 making 10 an hours your gonna be seriously financially tied to that thing for the next few years.. wait the extra 2-3 yrs till your better off and youll enjoy it more..

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yeah wait on the vette. Plus its an 05' with almost 100k miles. If you wait you will find a better deal plus a newer car for less. To add to this you're buying from a dealer who probably has about 15k in it and asking a butt load more. Educate yourself first about buying from stealerships and go in there with knowledge on how to negotiate with them. Search more places, private sellers, auctions etc. If i were you I would save up a descent lump and spend it more wisely. You can find LS1/2 cars for cheap nowadays...cheaper than 27k. Research research research. Often times people make mistakes because they buy on impulses rather than sense. They will offer a test drive and that's to tease you and to get you to impulse buy. Don't get caught up in their tricks. I hope you make the correct decision. Good luck!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice and input guys. After much talking with the dealer and doing my finances, and taking your input into serious thought. Im gonna let this one pass. I'll find one in a few years, thanks again guys. U probably kept me away from a financial mistake!

·
10 Second Opti Club
6,736 Posts
Like they said, big mistake that you don't want to make. Do you want to have a nice car now eating roman noodles or save now and have a decent car and a place of your own? Life comes up quick, save now, and enjoy your future. There's plenty more to come along. That is a rip off anyways imo and dealers are always looking to screw you. I stay private when I buy cars. Always look at your endeavors in a need vs want mentality and it will save you from wasting your hard work and making big mistakes that will bite your ass for a long time. Don't put yourself in a tough situation for a material item, its never the right choice.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree Sweet Bmx rider. I totally agree with all of you.
So Ive decided to finish up my go kart build i started a few months ago. If coco and every body doesnt mind, I would like to make a thread in a few weeks when the Go kart is done. Its Kawasaki Ninja Green, Black details, All around chrome wheels, and 8 hp briggs and stratton motor with a header that runs to a 5 inch wide trans am tail pipe lol, AND BEST OF ALL GUYS. IT HAS NOS. I just have to figure out how to make the NOS slightly spray a little bit like MICROSCOPIC. Ill post some pics and Message you guys when its finished. Ive spent a lil money on this SHOW KART now. And Its time to finish it up. I know i couldve put the NOS in my LT1 but with only 118k miles now, Ill wait until i start having probs to throw the NOS in it and finish it up.
Thanks again guys for all the advice.

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
Just did the math on the vettes finance. At $249 a month you'll be paying on that car for 7 years, providing of course there's no interest on the loan of $21,000

And of course there will be interest on the loan, so you can count on another 3 years of payments. 10 years before it's paid off. Kind of a sobering thought.

Glad you decided to let the vette go by.

For reducing the amount of nos spray, maybe an old carburetor trick will work. You can solder the jet closed and drill it with drill bit made for carb jets. Search the web and you'll find them. They make some really tiny drill bits for that purpose. A Weber carb dealer would be able to supply you with them, if they keep a good supply of spare parts on hand.

Also number size drill bits, available at most hardware stores come in some pretty small sizes, but carb jet drill bits come in the smallest sizes you can buy.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Coco u guys saved me haha! Thank u guys!
10 years is toooooo long for me! Wayyyyy to long!
And coco i will try and find some small ones! Thanks !
Bmx rider it's more of a funny kart lol ! Not made to be super fast but for ppl to say, " wow that looks crazy!" Lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts