LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing at a site and this guy mentioned his car was cam-only(video) and i wondered how much of that is true. I bet he probobly has an assload of more thing done. Now bear in mind i have built engines myself and no how..dumb..this sounds, but i want to actually do a cam only. Untouched heads no valvetrain etc. Just slap a cam in and go. Obviously im not going to pic a 306 cam or anything but a decent cam that will accept stock/or light tuning to pcm. I think comp has one that is smaller in size like a 218/224 which isnt too bad. Obviously ill change the crap out later but i would liek to ACTUally do a camonly car. plugs/wires/headers/exhaust/fipk/and a cam..only.

Now question is since i have never just doen a cam swap, can i throw a cam in without taking off the topend?

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Do you mean the valvetrain? THe heads don't have to come off obviously but the intake will, as will the lifters, and you're going to have to upgrade springs/rockers.

the 218/224 is a great cam for the stock heads.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
There's no way I'd even consider doing a cam swap w/o upgrading the valvetrain. The stock stuff can barely handle the stock cam.

That being said it easiest to take the top 1/2 off all the way to the block. It's much easier to do the valvetrain with the heads removed.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Yeah but if you're going to go through the PITA to pull the heads, why bolt the stockers right back on? Valvesprings can be changed on the car, its a pain but I'd say less work than pulling the heads, considering the headers would have to come off, etc.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that was my point. I wasnt going to take the heads off but i was under the impression lt1's had lifter trays like ls1's do. But they dont. So change of plans. Rockers,lifters,pr's,and springs is what ill do. But keeping heads untocuhed to see how much power i get off the cam only setup. Besides not saving up for new heads will mean i can get it done over winter. And next winter i can start on my all new motor and already have the valvetrain for it. Thanks for the reply's guys.

Im not going for a huge cam and huge gains because i plan to custom grind one later on in my 396. Honestly i want a cam that will put some to the wheels with a sweet idle. Anyone have a clip of the 218/224?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts