LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a couple of questions regarding the 4l60e transmission. According to my door sticker, my car (1995 TA) was manufactured in Canada 12/22/1994....Would this be considered an early 95 model or late? Also, i found a replacement transmission for my car and need to know if it will work...Here is the link......Thanks!

2WD GOODWRENCH 4L60E

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Yours is an early-1995 car.....and I really don't believe that tranny will work on your car. It's a 1993/94 and I haven't heard of early-1995 cars coming with 1993/94 transmissions.

The below quote regarding 4L60E transmissions came from another source:

"1995: Stand alone year! Will not interchange with any other year.

This is a PWM transmission. An extra solenoid was added to the valve body to control the pulsed lock up strategy of the conerter clutch. It has a 12 pin case connector, extra wire in the transmission to computer harness and different computer to control the new PWM circuit. Has PWM cast in front pump.

Front pump internal passages different to match new TCC strategy. 2 piece TCC control valve in valve body. Has holes in plate, marked in diagram below. 1st design 3-2 valve. 12 pin case connector. '94 computer won't recognise new TCC strategy, and will burn lock-up clutch and 3-4 clutches up......
"

Best of luck!

KW

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yours is an early-1995 car.....and I really don't believe that tranny will work on your car. It's a 1993/94 and I haven't heard of early-1995 cars coming with 1993/94 transmissions.

The below quote regarding 4L60E transmissions came from another source:

"1995: Stand alone year! Will not interchange with any other year.

This is a PWM transmission. An extra solenoid was added to the valve body to control the pulsed lock up strategy of the conerter clutch. It has a 12 pin case connector, extra wire in the transmission to computer harness and different computer to control the new PWM circuit. Has PWM cast in front pump.

Front pump internal passages different to match new TCC strategy. 2 piece TCC control valve in valve body. Has holes in plate, marked in diagram below. 1st design 3-2 valve. 12 pin case connector. '94 computer won't recognise new TCC strategy, and will burn lock-up clutch and 3-4 clutches up......
"

Best of luck!

KW
KW, Thanks a bunch ol buddy, i appreciate it. I should have known it was too good to be true lol, $300 for an almost new tranny....:crying:

·
Global Moderator
12,935 Posts
Before you give up on the trans, PM dynamic396. He builds transmissions for a living. See if there's a way to adapt 93-94 non pwm trans to a 95 pwm computer.

Of course, I'd be Leary of anyone claiming a $300 trans is newly rebuilt.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Of course, I'd be Leary of anyone claiming a $300 trans is newly rebuilt.
^^^ This... There is considerably more than $300 just in parts in a well-built 4L60E.

Plus, that's a GM reman, which you don't want... Believe me...!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^ This... There is considerably more than $300 just in parts in a well-built 4L60E.

Plus, that's a GM reman, which you don't want... Believe me...!
Thanks guys for the input and info, i appreciate it. Dynamic, so a Goodwrench reman. is no good....What would you recommend for someone on a budget?:frown2:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
No, a GM reman is generally not a good piece. They are not rebuilt by GM. They are outsourced to some other facility, most likely the lowest bidder. I have seen some almost comical things come out of the cases of GM reman transmissions (SRTA's). Besides, they are, at very best, bone stock transmissions.

For someone on a budget, I would say to find a good, reputable builder, preferably someone who specializes in 4L60E's, and get the best deal you can. A well-built 4L60E for a '95 F-Body should not cost more than about $1300-$1400. Any more than that, and you're buying someone's name and marketing costs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, a GM reman is generally not a good piece. They are not rebuilt by GM. They are outsourced to some other facility, most likely the lowest bidder. I have seen some almost comical things come out of the cases of GM reman transmissions (SRTA's). Besides, they are, at very best, bone stock transmissions.

For someone on a budget, I would say to find a good, reputable builder, preferably someone who specializes in 4L60E's, and get the best deal you can. A well-built 4L60E for a '95 F-Body should not cost more than about $1300-$1400. Any more than that, and you're buying someone's name and marketing costs.
Thank you sir for the info...I ended up just buying a new Monster stage 2....Went in debt a little but it should hold up to what i am doing....:|

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
... it should hold up to what i am doing....:|
Hopefully it does! They have managed to carve out a pretty sketchy reputation for themselves these days. Not surprising, though, really...

But, best of luck with your project...!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts