LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, my friend picked up his 97 30th annual Z28 Camaro with the orange and white paint for 1900 and ran great when he got it (hell of a deal) but the guy he bought it from paid 5600 for it from a little mechanic/dealership of used cars, well it turns out they has used a castle nut on the crank bolt as washer or something and threw his balancer off, and he bought a new crank hub/balancer and found out his crank was wore down and wouldnt hold the crank hub. well he finaly got a replacement motor "supposed to be" out of the same year trans am that had been wrecked well i guess the coil plug is diffrent and the plug in to the distributor is shorter, it still plugs in but is different, and its not vented??? i got to thinking maybe this is out of an OBD1 car, but idk hes having some problems with it. In the last week, him and I have unhooked his old motor, pulled it out the bottom with the suspension, and put it back in the the day before yesterday, and it rained yesterday so he couldnt get much hooked back up but hes in the last stages of having it running and for the first time in a year street able. I almost know these cars top to bottom and its been so fun working one mine and my freinds car, im excited to buy a shell and motor and turn my next camaro project into a decent profit, ill post some pics of my friends all jacked up when i figure out how to do more then just 1 at a time. I love these cars

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Non-vented optis have a long plug on the opti end. The short one for the vented will never reach inside to connect. You'll need a non-vented opti harness.

93-95s have a dual connector coil plug. 96-97s have a single connector coil plug. You can swap the whole coil/ICM assembly out to match it up. (Important that you swap it as an assembly. The coil is matched to the ICM.)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the non vented was the short one, I was wondering if the short plug was a firebird thing or an obd1 thing or something but I talked to him today and he's wanting to convert the motor over to obd2, swapping cams so he can run his new distributor off his old motor and timing covers so he can have his crank sensor

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
o ok, so what do you think about him doing the whole OBD2 swap?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts