LS1LT1 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Thought I'd introduce my $300 Firebird to my spare parts Formula this weekend. I haven't done anything to the Formula in a couple years but I think it's time to get back to it. Maybe time for a new build thread?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
The bird lost a few pounds this weekend. I've been skeptical about putting in a lawn mower battery for years but everyone seems to like them so when I found a coupon for $40 off I decided to try one. I still chickened out and bought the larger 18 pound one. It is 20 pounds lighter than the stock battery. It started the car right up even with the EWP running but it rained this weekend so I didn't get a chance to drive it around.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Never would have thought of doing that. 20lbs is a lot! A little sketchy for my daily driver though lol :thumbup:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #126

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Went to the track on Sat and it passed my tests. The thing I was worried about was sitting in the staging lanes and having to start and restart the car multiple times in a short period. I had to start it and shut it down 5 times within 15 minutes and having the door open to get some air in the car, it didn't miss a beat. I also noticed that I can get on the converter as hard as I want without blowing the tires off.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
I've been chasing a high RPM miss over the past couple of months getting worse and worse. I did all the usual troubleshooting with no luck. I had a big race a few weeks ago and it was so bad I had to let off between shifts. Still took third place that day though. I was in opti denial but finally decided to pull the opti out to replace when I found this:

Had to pull cam out and replace pin. So my super hero Dynaspark is still working fine. Why the cam pin broke is a mystery.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Wow, that's crazy. You'd think the Opti would break before that pin. At least it's just the pin.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Surprised car ran at all.
Yeah, it would idle pretty bad and above 5500 broke up pretty bad. It only ran because the pin was held in by cam gear and opti but was wiggling around.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Lightweight Battery Update: I was actually only going to use it for racing then swap regular one for the street but the little battery works fine. I've tuned the PCM at the track no problems. I sat in the car one time waiting in the pits to be called back with radio on for 20 minutes and no problems. I cranked the engine one time for a good 15-20 seconds before I realized I forgot to put the coil wire back one, again no problems starting.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Haven't touched the car all winter. I'm getting ready for first test-n-tune session this Sat. The only changes this year are I stole a pair of Strange single adjustable front shocks and springs from a friend's car and new drag radials. I'm trying out the Hoosiers this time, they are about 9 pounds lighter than the Mickey's I've always used. We'll see how they do this weekend.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Just curious how come ur only changing the front shocks and springs

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
The only reason I bought them is because I got a great deal and wanted to adjust the front ride height back down a bit. With the weight removed from the front end it was a little higher in the front.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Hey h got almost the same color scheme as me green and silver stripes

·
Registered
357 Posts
Really good work on the paint job. Had you painted cars before?

121 - 140 of 173 Posts