LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 1995 Z28 M6 in July 2015 to replace my 1993 Cavalier Z24 which had recently been rear-ended and written off. I wasn't completely sure about my choice, but it it was the only GM in my price range I could find with a manual transmission and powerful engine. After driving it for a week and realizing that it had a serious oil pressure problem (if you consider 0 PSI at hot idle serious), I seriously regretted my decision. I eventually decided to pull out the engine and rebuild so that I could have 100% confidence in the engine's reliability. The lifter valley was full of thick, solid sludge. This thing must have been on the 100,000 mile OCI schedule.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finally in January 2016 the car was back together and ready to rumble. It started on the first try and after completing the initial break in, it has run flawlessly for over 7000kms so far. The only issue was when the replacement heater core started leaking after 3 days. I went the rest of the winter without heat which made for some interesting driving when the windows fogged up and were nearly impossible to clear due to the coolant mist that refused to come off the windows.

Overall I'm really enjoying the car now. The engine felt a bit lazy at first so I did a basic tune using steveo's site and EEHack (which is awesome by the way!) and that has made it more responsive but now it has a bit of knock at times. I already had an ODB1 ALDL cable from my Cavalier - it's actually kind of funny how much the two are alike mechanically.

Copied from my other posting, this is what was done as part of the rebuild:

• Block, heads and crank all machined (Block bored 30 over)
  • New stock replacement pistons and Eagle rods
  • New bearings and gaskets of course
  • Comp Cams Pro Magnum 1.6 rockers
  • New roller lifters and pushrods
  • New springs, not sure what they are
  • Lunati 54742 EFI cam
  • New oil pump
  • New water pump, radiator, and all heater hoses, thermostat, rad cap
  • Oil cooler bypass for now (stock one is toast)
  • Throttle body bypass
  • Heater core bypass for now (need new hoses)
  • Reused Optispark
  • New TR55GP plugs and AC Delco wires
  • Energy Suspension polyurethane engine mount inserts
  • New fuel filter
  • Changed transmission (Mobil 1 DM) and differential fluid (Castrol w/ GM additive)
  • New lower rubber shift boot
  • New steam pipe
  • Skip shift eliminator
  • Throttle body take apart and cleaned (was full of "mud" in the coolant passageways!)
  • New McLeod clutch (very smooth, drives like stock)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My Z28 has no options except for the rear defroster and leather seats. While I was decoding the RPO's on the glove box I came across the 1LE code and discovered that it's a rare "factory racing" code. I know that opinions are varied on whether this does anything to the value or not, so I'm not getting my hopes up, but it is kind of neat to have.

What I've discovered however is that replacement parts are harder to find as there aren't as many "base" models out there without any of the features. No power windows, door locks, mirrors, hatch release, fog lights. Even the cooling fan in unique I think. I recently was given a citation to get my driver's side window fixed as it does not go up and down smoothly, and I discovered that the manual window regulator is much harder to find and is much more expensive. I ended up buying a driver and passenger door from a 2002 Camaro that was being parted out. Luckily they also gave me a nearly intact cross car harness with all the connectors. I think the only part cut is at the C200C connector, so I'll have to figure that using the service manuals.

My plan is to keep the car mostly stock and just make OE bolt on upgrades to it, like installing all the power options in my doors. I'll keep the original parts whenever possible so that one day it can be restored to original condition. It also needs some body work to fix the dent in the driver's side quarter panel (most likely will need to be cut out and replaced) and the paint is quite scratched so hopefully a good cut and polish will make it decent. Some thin spoke C5 rims would also be a nice upgrade from the stock salad shooters and balloon tires currently on it.

·
Global Moderator
12,961 Posts
Good job on your car. You should have a nice reliable daily driver now.

Are your front brake calipers different from standard lt1 f-bodies? 1LE option used to put better brakes on the car.

·
10 Second Opti Club
6,736 Posts
The fog light delete grills are somewhat rare and used to be sought after, not sure anymore though. Can you take pictures of the hvac box in the engine bay and the heater controls? Always wondered what they did when they deleted a/c. Also, I think manual window regulators are on ebay. There should be aftermarket options. The power windows in these cars are poor, at best. I swapped to manual and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks cocobolo95. I believe the brakes are the same as other LT1 F-bodies - the single piston design. My understanding is the the 3rd gen 1LE cars had the better brakes than regular models. I would like to the LS1 brake swap eventually, mainly because it's cheap and I can keep using the 16" stock rims for winter tires.

sweetbmxrider, I'll try to get you some photos. I think it's similar to regular 4th gens.
When I wire up the power windows I'm going to use relays the same way the Auto trix window fix kit. Whether it provides any benefit or not is again debatable, but it shouldn't hurt. And doing it myself will be a lot cheaper than buying the kits.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I enjoyed reading this thread nice car man and very cool that your discovered it's a 1LE! I've always wondered how many of them were made and what the options were on them. I'm curious to see what the ac controls look like when deleted from the factory as well. The car looks pretty good in the picture I bet a good buffing and wax is all it needs for now which is what my car needs to lol. After almost 21 years of life they definitely get some dings haha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts