LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had it, today at crew car wash my $500 MSD Optispark went out for the third time in the last year and a half. Error code for low and high res showed up. I’m not doing this anymore , what alternatives are there to Optispark that actually work other than the method of using the optical sensor and using ls1 coils. Am I stuck with paying $600-$1000 for a torqhead kit or terminator x? Thanks

·
Global Moderator
13,371 Posts
If car wash was a mechanical one rather than a hand wash, that's your problem. An opti equipped car should never go through a car wash.

I wouldn't drive one in the rain or snow either.

And to keep opti from getting a bath when water pump shaft seal goes out, drive a 90 degree plastic tee fitting into weep hole. Silicone or epoxy around it. Then attach tubing. Route tubing away from opti.

The MSD opti has had a bad few years. Many problem MSD optis during this period. The only worth while opti is a reman GM, Delco, or Delphi. But stay away from car wash.

There is an alternitive to the opti. It's a conversion to ls1 type coil pack ignition. It is costly. Do a google search for optispark conversion kits. I can't remember the name of the company.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If car wash was a mechanical one rather than a hand wash, that's your problem. An opti equipped car should never go through a car wash.

I wouldn't drive one in the rain or snow either.

And to keep opti from getting a bath when water pump shaft seal goes out, drive a 90 degree plastic tee fitting into weep hole. Silicone or epoxy around it. Then attach tubing. Route tubing away from opti.

The MSD opti has had a bad few years. Many problem MSD optis during this period. The only worth while opti is a reman GM, Delco, or Delphi. But stay away from car wash.

There is an alternitive to the opti. It's a conversion to ls1 type coil pack ignition. It is costly. Do a google search for optispark conversion kits. I can't remember the name of the company.
Would you happen to know anything about the Petris Optispark? I’m seeing some reputable reviews for them ? Also yes I did look at the conversion using the optical sensor of the optispark , but that wouldn’t make any sense to me. Because it’s the optical portion that’s failing anyway. But then I could be worry free and spend $1600 on a torqhead conversion . But then I’d have to learn how to tune a ls1 pcm instead of a lt1

·
Global Moderator
13,371 Posts
There's a system out there which completely eliminates the opti. They sell a kit with a new timing cover which has a ls1 type crank & cam sensor. And it uses ls1 pcm & coil packs. I don't know the name of the company, but have seen it several times on the net.

The Petris opti would be taking an expensive chance. Yes, I've read the reviews. But who made the reviews. I've seen too many companies have employees post reviews that are basically fiction. But if you want to be the first on your block to try the Petris opti, feel free and give us reviews over a period of time.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I’ve had it, today at crew car wash my $500 MSD Optispark went out for the third time in the last year and a half. Error code for low and high res showed up. I’m not doing this anymore , what alternatives are there to Optispark that actually work other than the method of using the optical sensor and using ls1 coils. Am I stuck with paying $600-$1000 for a torqhead kit or terminator x? Thanks
I went with TorqHead and haven't looked back. Not only has relieable been increase by 100%, horsepower and torque gain is 25 on both.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would you happen to know anything about the Petris Optispark? I’m seeing some reputable reviews for them ? Also yes I did look at the conversion using the optical sensor of the optispark , but that wouldn’t make any sense to me. Because it’s the optical portion that’s failing anyway. But then I could be worry free and spend $1600 on a torqhead conversion . But then I’d have to learn how to tune a ls1 pcm instead of a lt1
Hi there,

I've been using the Petris for about a year and a half on my '94 LT1 Trans Am. So far so good. I don't drive it a ton, but I have a few hundred miles on it. Had the MSD last and lost the plug against the cam shaft, which resulted in the distributor being flooded with oil. Awesome. I may delete the opti altogether next time, but we'll see. It's expensive, but probably a good long-term solution.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts