LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 bolt with the stock posi but upgraded 3.73 motive gears. I have about 3k miles on this set and have had a noise(whine) since the gears were installed. 1st 3 days were ok but then they started to whine. The whine is there on coast as well as drive side although the whine is a different pitch. The shop said they set them up tight for strength on the track.:mad: Any way I am doing a blown 383, A4 over the winter and I am thinking of gettin a 3.42 from a friend ($250) and changing the rear end out.

If I keep the 3.73 rear can it be reset to get rid of the whine or will it need a new set of gears?

I would think a 3.23 or 3.42 rear end should not hurt times much since I will have quit a bit more power with the new combo. I rarely go to the track so I am not worried too much about hurting it. Any opinions on this.

Thanks

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Aftermarket gears with a proper "track" setup are going to whine some. Never expect it to be as quiet as stock was.

Its going to be hard to get rid of it IMO.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any thoughts on the ratio change from 3.73 to 3.23 or 3.42? I also have a chance to get an LS1 drive shaft. Is this a worthwhile upgrade to my 94 drive shaft?

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
The aluminum driveshaft will give you negligible HP gains...if its cheap get it, if not don't bother.

Personally I wouldn't go down in gear ratio unless you think you have too much gear to get traction at this point. 3.42s are nice on an A4 for a balance between ratio and highway cruise RPM.

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
Stay w/ the 3.73s. They will whine some. Its the nature of aftermarket gears. I setup Chris 96 WS6s gears, and he can verify that the pattern and all the settings, i.e. backlash etc were dead on, and he still had some whine w/ the gears.

Driveshaft like said will give you neglegable gains powerwise, but will help a little at the track, note I said LITTLE, b/c it helps you move through the band just a little quicker. Less drive train weight.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
If you're going with a blown 383 I'd get a steel driveshaft. You may snap the aluminum one. They're lighter, but weaker. I'm actually putting in a steel shaft next month when I do a few other things.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. My issues with my 373 set up is mostly the whine. It does have a pinion seal leaking now and I guess I am just fed up with it. A nice exhaust sound I can deal with but a whine from gears I cant. If I have the windows up and the stereo on a normal setting I can still hear the rearend over the stereo. Thats not for me.

·
Premium Member
10,230 Posts
Hey i have a question ? would using a heavier or a synthetic lube quiet the rear end any ? what about a noise dampening epoxy over the cover ? just a question being as i think i will step up to the 3:73 in the near future .. also whos available to help slap them puppies in ?hell as long as ya know what your doing ill supply beer;gas money;etc .

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Transamman25 said:
Hey i have a question ? would using a heavier or a synthetic lube quiet the rear end any ? what about a noise dampening epoxy over the cover ? just a question being as i think i will step up to the 3:73 in the near future .. also whos available to help slap them puppies in ?hell as long as ya know what your doing ill supply beer;gas money;etc .
Sure, a heavier lube would help, as well as lessen gear shock on hard launches, but at the cost of HP. I suppose an epoxy damped cover would help, thought I doubt it would help a lot. For TN area installs, email LS13RDGEN on this board. He does a lot of work on the side out of his garage and I'm sure would work you in.

·
Premium Member
10,230 Posts
Awesome Chris !
But with the performance gain you experience from the gearing .. i could spend a little making it last longer and quieter .. youd still notice a large gain in power as well as performance .. Id be interested if youd try that medic .. see if there is a big diffrence rather than starting with a swap .. lemme know

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Transamman25 said:
Awesome Chris !
But with the performance gain you experience from the gearing .. i could spend a little making it last longer and quieter .. youd still notice a large gain in power as well as performance .. Id be interested if youd try that medic .. see if there is a big diffrence rather than starting with a swap .. lemme know
So if I understand this right if I change the fluid it may calm down the rear end whine? What type fluid weight? I also have the added problem of a leaking seal to deal with. I dont have a problem doing this for ya but be forewarned my 25th is in the garage partially apart awaiting the new engine from Golen. I am also contemplating rebuilding the trans and upgrading to 4l65e components. I was looking into Jag performance for this. Does anyone have a recommendation for the trans overhaul?

·
Registered
11 Posts
gear wear pattern and who installs gears in Wisconsin?

I have a 96 6 speed ws6 with heads/cam and all the toys the guy I bought it from had motive 410's put it and they whine loud, I pulled the cover off and there is a wear pattern about half way up the ring gear teeth it looks like its worn alot and the gear set is only 3k old? normal? who in Wisconsin sets up gears in the spring i'm changing em.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
before you go thru too much trouble,
change the diff fluid and add FORD type additive...

My 9" with 4.11 gears are quieter then most guys stockers ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts