LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cylinder numbers 5 and 7 are missfiring in my car. I put in new plugs check and moved around wires and checked the coils. Anybody ever have this happen.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
is it actually throwing a misfire code? or its just stumling?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used the snap on code scanner and it was showing the miss fire and it is running like crap.... my car sounds like chewbaka! haha

·
Registered
89 Posts
Bent pushrods, Valve springs, injectors...any number of reasons it would miss.

Nate

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's the fact that 2 cylinders are acting up that has me! Well the story goes like this it was halloween of all nights and I was driving with my brother and I wanted to show him how "mint" my car was running! (nice cool air and a bottle of octane boost!) I brought her down to first gear and was at like 4 grand.... then layed into her. just in first, a nice little rush and that was it. About 3 miles down the road like someone had flicked a switch it sounded real lousy and had lost power. I have a mild comp cam with the new springs and retainers, never did the pushrods, rockers, or lifters. I have the other standard mods such as full exhuast, Intake etc...the car has 365 to the wheels. The only recent problems was the vacum line to the booster kept poping off but fixed that and the pigtail to the oil pressure sensor snaped but also fixed that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm just looking for any reason besides taking the block apart outside in the middle of november! and it's a daily driver.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Sounds a lot like bent pushrods. ONe thing you could do is swap the plugs/coils/wires from those to cyls with known good cyls...eliminate ignition problems.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Missfire is when the air/fuel charge in the cylinder fails to ignite after the compression stroke. There's many reasons this can happen, including lack of compression (rings, burnt valve, bent pushrods, etc), too much or way too little fuel, no spark or spark timing way off, lobe wiped off the cam, broken valvespring, collapsed lifter, etc. etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had been throwing a lean code for the past few months, I thought it could have been from a few reasons: Due to a blown cat ;) , in result I now have no cats, I know about the O2 sims but no code came up after I did it so I figured it was alright. Also I was thinking about the K&N oil; I did put a little much the last time, Or I figured I had an intake leak So the day befor it broke I tightend all the bolts and the lean code was gone. Now these reasons are just for the lean code which I got rid of the day before it broke.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I came up with a possible solution. I never upgraded my fuel injectors! After researching I relized stock injectors at 100% can only support 350 horse. This could also explain my lpast lean code problems. Now the question is do you think it is possible I put a hole in one of the pistons?

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
TheRedLS1 said:
I came up with a possible solution. I never upgraded my fuel injectors! After researching I relized stock injectors at 100% can only support 350 horse. This could also explain my lpast lean code problems. Now the question is do you think it is possible I put a hole in one of the pistons?

38# injectors should help out.

Some people will tell you 36's, but the price difference is only like $20.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Who makes those, SLP? Where can I get them?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Are you having any noises with this missfire? like tapping or anything?
-=Rick

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah there is some sort of noise going on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
TheRedLS1 said:
Yeah there is some sort of noise going on.

Maybe the plug wires are not cliped all the way down.. snapping sound can be the spark arcing to from wire to plug..
-=Rick

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just for an update ( I haven't been on in a while) I swapped the pushrods and still no good!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts