LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Wednesday I drove the TA for the first time this year. Drove 30 miles with no problem, a few hours later drove another 30 miles, started to misfire after about 10 miles, then was getting really bad once I got to my destination.

Changed 5 of the 8 spark plugs (I'm limited on tools right now) and that did not help. I used Stabil and let it warm up a few times over winter with no problems. The only thing I have changed since I last drove it was converting from CAI to Ram Air (I did not drive it after installing the Ram Air until this week).

Car now seems to run fine, then randomly will misfire, then it gets bad after a while. I will attempt to change the last 3 plugs and then should I try wires? Maybe one is not firing right when it is warm?

My other question is what is the large vacuum line that hooks to the ram air box? It is touching the radiator hose and gets so hot you can barely touch it. I do not remember this happening with the CAI, and could this be my problem?

Sorry for the long winded questions, I am puzzled

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No codes are present, but if anyone knows someplace that can scan a 95 let me know

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
have you tried spraying plug wires with water, enough to just dampen them. Then watch for spark leakage. Do this at night so it will be easy to spot.

If you have a laptop or notebook computer you can get a cable that hooks car's dlc to usb port. Get at www.aldlcable.com Just $60 + shipping. Get the 16 pin cable.

Then go to 4th gen section and look for thread titled "free obd1 scan tool". Download app and load into computer. This program was written by our member GaryDoug. It will do running sensor scans, scan for regular codes, plus it scans for ABS and traction control codes. The only thing it doesn't do is allow you to run scans in real time like DataMaster does.

But, you can also download the trial version of DataMaster, good for 20 free scans and unlimited data playback. Get it at www.tunercat.com

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have you tried spraying plug wires with water, enough to just dampen them. Then watch for spark leakage. Do this at night so it will be easy to spot.

If you have a laptop or notebook computer you can get a cable that hooks car's dlc to usb port. Get at www.aldlcable.com Just $60 + shipping. Get the 16 pin cable.

Then go to 4th gen section and look for thread titled "free obd1 scan tool". Download app and load into computer. This program was written by our member GaryDoug. It will do running sensor scans, scan for regular codes, plus it scans for ABS and traction control codes. The only thing it doesn't do is allow you to run scans in real time like DataMaster does.

But, you can also download the trial version of DataMaster, good for 20 free scans and unlimited data playback. Get it at www.tunercat.com
Are there any electronics stores or parts stores that sell the cable? The sooner I get this fixed the better

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
I can't say no for 100% sure, but most stores are selling the latest equipment and not stuff for 16 to 17 year old cars.

If you want it quick, I'm sure you can get next day or 2 day shipping if your willing to pay to play. For next day, expect to pay almost as much as the cable costs to ship.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't say no for 100% sure, but most stores are selling the latest equipment and not stuff for 16 to 17 year old cars.

If you want it quick, I'm sure you can get next day or 2 day shipping if your willing to pay to play. For next day, expect to pay almost as much as the cable costs to ship.
Okay that is what I figured. I will search further into the car tonight. If I can't find the solution I will order a cable. Thank you for the help!

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
You should order the cable and download the scan programs regardless of fixing the problem. These are necessary tools for the modern mechanic.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should order the cable and download the scan programs regardless of fixing the problem. These are necessary tools for the modern mechanic.
I figured that and ordered a cable and downloaded the software

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After inspection, I found two loose plug wires on the optispark. Hooked those back up and it seems to have solved the problem. I am not going to say 100% until after I take it for a long drive tomorrow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts