LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna put some in my engine to clean it up. I changed the oil about 1k miles ago. So, would you recommended taking a qt of oil out then adding the mmo, or just change the oil and add it?

·
Registered
807 Posts
You can do it either way, probably you should start with fresh oil and fresh filter and then add marvel mystery oil. But, if you use a good oil with hi detergents like most good oils have in them, there is no need to use the mystery oil. ed

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use quality oil. I usually use Mobil 1 full synthetic or royal purple. But I don't know what the guy used that had the car before me. So I figured run this stuff through and clean any sludge out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
As said, don't waste your time or money with oil additives. Just continue to use quality oil like you are and in time you'll notice things will get cleaner under the valve covers.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Another concern I always have when you don't know the previous condition of the engine is using something that "breaks up" all the gunk. All that does is circulate it in the engine and maybe clogging something that was not previously clogged. As FormulaJoe says, using a good oil can make things cleaner over time and not have such a dramatic effect all at once. MHO.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds good guys. Thanks for the help. With any other car I've had in the past I just put whatever into it. This is the first car I've had that is actually "nice". I wanna take as good care as possible.

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
If it were my car, I would remove one of the valve covers and inspect the rocker arms, valve springs, etc. If they are all sludged up then rest of engine is most likely sludged. If they look good then rest of engine most likely clean.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
To clean gunk out of an engine use a qt of Automatic transmission fluid in the engine. Warm it up turn off add let idle for 5 Min shut off and change the oil and filter. You can also add an old speaker magnet to the bottom of the oil filter helps clean up small particles and hold them in the filter. Napa regular oil filters are mfg by Wix, the Napa gold are as good as K&N.

The only additive to dyno based oils that really works is Synthetic oil. Full Synthetic Mobil 1 or if on a budget Walmart 5w-30 Full synthetic is mfg by Warren Products of Nebraska. Don't run oil additives in Synthetic oils but a blend of say 3qts synthetic with 2 dyno oils works nice in a daily driver.

Good forum on oils

- Bob is the Oil Guy

Add the Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas tank it cleans the injectors and lubes the valves. Look up manufacturers safety data sheets for ingredients such as Seafoam etc.

http://www.turtlewax.com/upload/msdp/MM010-1-England$2ada558ab2a17bd0.pdf

http://seafoamsales.com.previewc40.carrierzone.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/MSDS_seafoam_EN.pdf

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
Don't use walmart synthetic oil. I used it in my dd 90 camaro. It turns to a waxy sludge in your engine. To test it, I let some sit in the original bottle for 4 months, it was turning into the waxy sludge right in the bottle and it was new unused oil. So stay away from walmart synthetic. Spend a few dollars more for mobile 1 or another good brand.

And this is strange because most of walmart's store brands work well.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Automatic tranny fluid in an engine? I'll stick with motor oil. JMO..
I have heard of folks using it for just this purpose,I believe it was said to only use one quart,so you are mixing it at about 4:1 ratio. The reason
for using automatic trans fluid is because its highly detergent,so that is
the reasoning behind it. I have never used ATF for this purpose but I have seen it done. As far as I can remember it had no adverse effects. ed

·
Registered
763 Posts
Never heard of adding tranny fluid to an engine to clean it up. I've heard of using diesle in the oil to clean it up tho. A buddy of mine told me if your tranny slips add brake fluid to it. Never tried that so don't know if it works.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ah I never heard of that. Just did a quick search. Looks like the general consensus is to only use it for a short amount of time, and in my search I didn't see anyone saying it damaged their engine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've heard of people using tranny fluid to clean an engine. I just don't have the guts to try it. Haha

·
Registered
110 Posts
When I had my RX7 I ran ATF in the oil as well as pulling the plugs out and pouring a little in to soak the apex seals on the tips of the rotors. breaks up carbon and gunk quickly and efficiently. granted I only ran it for a short time, but it worked good wth no ill effects. You need to remember about ATF it is designed to work for LONG times in transmissions and it has to be able to keep the small passages and such clean during that time so it is uber detergenty. (yea I just made my own word up. Deal with it. :) )

on a new to me used car I am always scared of running Seafoam or MMO to clean the inside out quickly as in the past I ran it in a Mustang and found that the motor was so worn out the carbon and sludge had actually built up internal tolerances a bit and was plugging leaks and stuff. Ran Seafoam in it and changed the oil a few times till it was clean, and the motor developed really nasty oil leaks and started running really rough... by cleaning it out like that I loosened all the tolerances back up.

So its a crap shoot either way you go.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
R. Roadmaster correct on the high detergent level I use it to make a gun barrel cleaner also. I wouldn't use diesel on anything unless cleaning parts with it kerosene works better.

I'v run the Walmart full synthetic in my ATV's cars and Trucks for years if waxy might have been a formula similar to Castrol synthetic which is not pure synthetic it is a dyno oil based hybrid has parrafin or carnuba in the base but the Silver quarts of 5w-30 Walmart full synthetic start in 12 below here and at 112 above in Farmington during July it is good oil and meets the specifications for My Can am ATV instead of Bombardier synthetic at $15 per quart. Also good for 1 mpg over dyno petroleum based oils in my truck.

On Higher mileage vehicles changing from Dyno/Petro Based oils to synthetic can also cause oil leaks due to its ability to go places where dyno oils do not.

·
Registered
377 Posts
On Higher mileage vehicles changing from Dyno/Petro Based oils to synthetic can also cause oil leaks due to its ability to go places where dyno oils do not.

That's right!
It does not break down older seals. And it will not help older seals age any better either.

But I did not know of Walmart being in the oil business. It must be someone's else oil in a Walmart bottle?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts