LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 camaro lt1. Trying to fix a few leaks. Oil pan was leaking got the pan out and think about doing rod, main bearings and bolts since im this close. Oil pressure seems fine. Car shows around 167,000 miles on it and it was street raced prior to me getting it. Internally, it looks stock. Question is am i fine to go back with std rod and main bearings if the crank looks smooth? I dont plan on taking the crank out. I just dont want to have to tear back into this thing any time soon. Oh and id like to replace the oil pump. Any part numbers for these items? Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
97 camaro lt1. Trying to fix a few leaks. Oil pan and timing cover, leaking got the pan out and think about doing rod, main bearings and bolts since im this close. Oil pressure seems fine. Car shows around 167,000 miles on it and it was street raced prior to me getting it. Internally, it looks stock. Question is am i fine to go back with std rod and main bearings if the crank looks smooth? I dont plan on taking the crank out. I just dont want to have to tear back into this thing any time soon. Ive heard of if it not broke dont fix but im this close, i want to keep it fixed longer lol.Oh and id like to replace the oil pump. Any part numbers for these items? Thank you!

Attachments

·
Global Moderator
12,988 Posts
You need to mic your rod journals of crank to see what diameter they are. Take a measurement at 4 places 90 degrees apart. This will tell you if crank is out of round. Main journals should be done, but impossible with crank still in engine.

Get a mic or dial caliper that reads to 10,000th of an inch.

Go to following link and download 96 service manual. It will have all engine part sizes & clearances. www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

The 96 manual will cover your 97 engine just fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts