LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well... what you all have to say....

I have a a4... seriously thinking i should have got a 6 speed....

what are your guys opinion on this?

You can put your "street" opinion then your "stip" opinion... yeah... that would be nice.

·
Registered
993 Posts
6-speed > all.

and FWIW, that's coming from a former A4 owner. Nothing like the connection you have driving a manual transmission. It's like the car becomes an extension of your body rather than you just operating a machine.

I didn't see the light until I actually owned a manual car.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vendetta said:
6-speed > all.

and FWIW, that's coming from a former A4 owner. Nothing like the connection you have driving a manual transmission. It's like the car becomes an extension of your body rather than you just operating a machine.

I didn't see the light until I actually owned a manual car.

Well this is my first automatic.. lol. I like being able to be lazy. But then again i like how on the 6 speed i can be geared lowered and not loose much top end speed.

·
Registered
330 Posts
A4 if you want neck snapping launches and consistency.

M6 if you want fun, and actually know how to drive a vehicle. :D

Although I did just test drive an A4 C5 yesterday......

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I've gotten a couple of neck-snapping launches in a manual...

Ya'll all know my opinion on this, lol

M6 all the way!! (for the same reasons as listed above)

·
Registered
71 Posts
m6 any day, i cant stand driving automatics no matter how much power they have.... its just plain boring.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
(a) M6 for the thrill and adventure
(b) M6 for maximizing those shift points on hard climbing hills and x-cross

Just can't see giving up good HP for the drivetrain difference, but it all depends on your intent and preference. You hear all the time how M6 guys are going to Auto's and vice versa. Don't think I didn't contemplate that decision when I placed my order.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I have had both, A4 and A3 in my LT4 HOT cammed car and it ran low 12s and low 11s on the 100shot. It was consistant for sure and I really liked racing the car with the TH350 in it. But now I have this M6 and from day one it was alot more fun to drive. The only problem is missing a shift and the speed in the shifting that one can do. I really like being able to launch the car at 6000 and it throwing the wheels up!!

What will be the future of this M6, dont know, I do dislike the hydrolics b/c over time it heats up and the shifting becomes difficult, wish someone would make a mechanical set up like the Fords (cable).

For consistancy on the track (drag) I would say A3, for fun M6.

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
Its all a preference thing. I have both right now. A4 89 TA w/ the built motor tranny etc... and the M6 SS. SS is more fun to drive every day, except in traffic. I did like the laziness of the auto. For a street/strip car the M6 is king IMO. For a car thats really just about track times and consistancy... auto all the way.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
I have an M6 right now, but I'm swapping in an auto next month.

I love the M6 hands down. There is nothing like banging gears in a fast car and playing around with it. But I need more consistency. When you're racing on the street for money, you can't afford to have a clutch slip, launch to high, bog..........things like that to happen. Plus the only time I hate my M6 is when I get stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well anyone want to trade? lol

I think the a4 is far slower to a decent driven m6 (in identical cars)...
But maybe im being mislead?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I don't know if any of you ran the Skyline Drive cruise last year, but I punished those poor A4's trying to climb the mountains, and my beast is extremely heavy. Nevertheless, it will probably be the ONLY time I will pass any LS1's (lol)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gettinthere said:
On the track? The auto car will win 9/10.
stock for stock though? i ran a ls1 (i have a lt1) and i think he ate me as bad as he did because i have a a4 and he is rocking the m6.. otherwise he wouldn't have dissapeared as quick...

so if i find another lt1 around here that is stock and a 6 speed i will beat him in my a4? ehh.... elaborate... i do know auto is better.. but, i think in this case (stock for stock) it is not

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Of the two the manual is harder to drive well, so people tend to say that autos are faster at the track.

But they're not if you have a good driver.

Everybody says that autos are the way to go at the track because of consistency in launching, but everyone also overlooks the fact that in professional racing (the big dogs) they run Jericos and Lencos and all sorts of other straight cut, CLUTCH-LAUNCHED transmissions.

It's just easier to have a little liquid propeller master launching than it is to spend the time mastering yourself and your car ;)

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
LT1-TA said:
stock for stock though? i ran a ls1 (i have a lt1) and i think he ate me as bad as he did because i have a a4 and he is rocking the m6.. otherwise he wouldn't have dissapeared as quick...

so if i find another lt1 around here that is stock and a 6 speed i will beat him in my a4? ehh.... elaborate... i do know auto is better.. but, i think in this case (stock for stock) it is not

Evenly matched from a roll the M6 will win damn near every time. From a dig the it's a more even race, but the auto car will get out of the hole better and the M6 car will have to run him down.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Get a stall converter and you will fun.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
gettinthere said:
Evenly matched from a roll the M6 will win damn near every time. From a dig the it's a more even race, but the auto car will get out of the hole better and the M6 car will have to run him down.
but on the street a auto cant launch near as well as it could on a strip.... and street is where most shit goes down... umm.. the m6 could feather it better and get out quicker... I dunno.. lol.. im at a los what to do

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
LT1-TA said:
but on the street a auto cant launch near as well as it could on a strip.... and street is where most shit goes down... umm.. the m6 could feather it better and get out quicker... I dunno.. lol.. im at a los what to do

One of the reasons I'm swapping to an auto is b/c I'm sick of getting eaten alive by A4 when launching on the street. Playing the "I hope I reel him in" game gets old quick.

Up by me, our streets are prepped as well as our tracks. Some are even better. Have you even seen the Scandalous Racing "You got the Hit" DVD? Those are the streets we race on.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
gettinthere said:
One of the reasons I'm swapping to an auto is b/c I'm sick of getting eaten alive by A4 when launching on the street. Playing the "I hope I reel him in" game gets old quick.

Up by me, our streets are prepped as well as our tracks. Some are even better. Have you even seen the Scandalous Racing "You got the Hit" DVD? Those are the streets we race on.

yeah... i dont htink most peopels streets are prepped... lol.. I jsut spin like im on ice... and i have a stock LT1. i have not seen that video though.. good??

1 - 20 of 37 Posts