LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my close friends recently joked about putting an LT5 into his Z28. Then he started thinking that it would be really cool because you don't ever see it (maybe cause you can't do it, don't know yet), very much unlike the LT4 Setup. He found a wrecked ZR1, the engine seems to be in good shape. I think hes really serious about doing this, and he even fully understands how labor intensive this project is gonna be. He wanted me to ask you guys wether or not it would fit, and what the modability on the LT5 is like.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
I think the problem is the LT5 is too wide to fit between teh 4th gen shock towers.

Modability is zero.The only place that does LT5's is lingenfelter, and expect to pay out the wazoo. I've never seen any aftermarket parts for an LT5 anywhere.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris 96 WS6 said:
I think the problem is the LT5 is too wide to fit between teh 4th gen shock towers.

Modability is zero.The only place that does LT5's is lingenfelter, and expect to pay out the wazoo. I've never seen any aftermarket parts for an LT5 anywhere.
Thats what I figured about modding it. He's going to measure it tommorrow. I hope he does it. I think it'd be kinda cool.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
It would definitely be unique. GM did one about 10 years ago but as far as I know that's the only LT5 f-body ever done.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was it Lotus that designed the LT5?

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Yes, and it was built by Mercury Marine for GM.

And its also the reason we have the LT1. Chevy went to GM powertrain and said they wanted 300hp out of the small block. GM powertrain was adamant that the 245hp L98 was the best that could be done with existing tech...basically that there was nothing left to improve.

When they saw the LT5 and the 385hp it put out, GM powertrain went to work.. I think they got embarrased into making the LT1. That's why it seems like the LT1 used all the tricks in the book...reverse flow cooling, short runner intake & a new cyl head.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Big waste. Cant mod it and even if you could mod it its OHC which means its absolutely nonresponsive to things like cams.

·
Registered
81 Posts
GM did one in a 3rd Gen.

It looked like it barely fit.

It was on the Camaro Legends tour a few years ago.

IMHO,I would do an LS2 swap,cheaper,easier,it will fit and it has way more potential.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hes really not doing it for performance as a top priority. He just wants to do something that will perform decently and no one else has ever done. It'll probably just turn into a show car.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Third Gen................

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the LT5 would respond great to forced induction, with it being a 4 valve engine (right?). The only downside would be the high compression.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He found a wrecked ZL1 Vette. He said it was the 405 hp version and the owner's asking price wasn't to bad.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Moving to General tech since LT5's are 100% different from the other LT motors.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If your bud was eventually wanting to go the forced induction route. The LT5 would be good. You could always swap the pistons out to get the compression down. What does the guy want for the ZR1. Here in Corvette Central (Bowling Green) a LT5 with the harness goes for about 8 to 10 grand. I saw one at Street Rod Nationals that Street and Performance had. It was polished out block and all an they wanted something lik 15k to 18k for it. :eek: They are really wide like said before.

·
Registered
612 Posts
anybody have pics of an LT5? ive heard alot about it, but never have seen one.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He found a wrecked ZL1 (was rear-ended) the guy wants 12 for the whole car. It's pretty much totaled. My friend says hes getting the engine for 6 grand.

·
Registered
612 Posts
i would go for it. its probably a major PITA, but thats part of the fun. 6k is not bad really. what about the trans from the vette?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts