LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Trans Am with a basicly stock LT1 (besides headers and a Moroso Cold Air). I want to upgrade the motor a little bit, but wasn't to sure on what to buy. I found a site with an upgrade kit from the LT1 to an LT4. The kit includes: new heads, intake, LT4 hot cam, roller rocker arms, and all of the gaskets and stuff that I'd need for the change. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the kit and if I should spend the $2000 on it, or if I could find basicly the same parts but, some that would be more worth my while? Here is the link for the kit

http://gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=pk12550630

One other thing. I found just the heads that come with the kit on another site. In the part description, they claimed if I was to buy the upgrade kit, my motor would make up to 430HP. This is what actually got me interested in buying this and was just wondering if there was any truth behind this.

·
Registered
993 Posts
It will make around 360-370rwhp, which isn't really worth it when you consider the price for it. You can get LE ported stock heads and a cam with supporting bolt-ons for about that same price and make over 400 at the wheels. The 430hp they quoted you is at the flywheel.

www.eportworks.com

People have been consistantly making over 400rwhp with the LE2 setup.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
as others have stated, there are alot of other heads cam kits that will get you more power, as for your intake, it works just fine the way it is, i would , however have the ports matched to your new heads.

·
Registered
79 Posts
go with the LE heads and cam packages. there nice, make good power, and are cheap.
when i get home from school there going on my 96

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I have some guys that will do it cheaper and a better job. LE2 cam is a single pattern cam. And when he does the valves he uses the same valves. My buddies make you a custom grind cam as big as you want dual pattern and they give you new valves. How i no all this is cuz i was goign with the le2 but i asked them about the specs so tehy called him pretendign to be a customer and got the info i didnt no anything about. As far as the lt4 kit i plan to buy the heads and intake and im sending the heads intake to my buddies and having them port them both. Then im getting them to grind me out a cam. The lt4 kit itself is a waste mainly because its not really high performance. Its just stuff that cam on an lt4 vette. It wouldnt ever match up to something comp makes or anything like that. And like they say go big or go home and the lt4 hotcam definatly isnt big.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That LE2 package looks pretty good to me, I was thinking about going with AFR heads and Comp cam, but that would have run about $2200 for both with similar power #'s.

Since I don't have enough experience or confidence to start tearing into my LT1 for a head/cam swap, I'd like to have a decent shop do it for me. What can I expect to be charged for this? Or at least how many hours of labor is required for a good mechanic to do this in a C4?

·
Registered
253 Posts
The LE package puts down some nice dyno numbers and track times too. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
BEAWARE that GMPARTSDIRECT will charge you so much for shipping, that you'll need to sell a child, a nut, or something precious to pay for it. Stay away from them.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
rdIflht said:
The LE2 kit also suggests 30/36# injectors and a 58mm throtle body. Any suggestions???
your fuel system should always be something you are upgrading...

stock injectors do not look up to the task of a good H/C set up... :poke:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Well to that i say SAm mechanics responsible for help building machining dyno testing running tuning etc there ls1 machine says a stock tb is meant for SERIOUS power. I asked him about upgrading because lloyd said so he said not needed unless im making lots to the ground which i wontbe. And also abotu the lt1 going 9's who knows what he would have ran with a 58mm TB BUT i was saying that this ugy doesnt need to get one unless he plans to be in that range.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The LT4 kit is good if you want to say you have an lt4, bUt for the money you can get a better setup that will give you more power. And theirs usally aroung a 10 to 20 percent loss from the crank to the wheels so the power they saynyou get isnt that much

·
Registered
12 Posts
also gmparts direct is actually flow cheverolet , a dealership in greensboro nc or that area, they charge a buttload to ship and will not let you come and pick up the parts at internet prices,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts