LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never have done an engine swap quite like this before. I had just got a 94' Z28 with a T-56 6 speed. The org., 94'LT1 has be swapped out with a 96-97' LT1. . They had given up on the project. So here I am learning as I go. No spark, new engine has a CPS on crank pulley with no wire tonitm has an Opti. No spark wow frustrated. Help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How to tell what year my LT1 is 95,96,97 has a CPS on crank, can't see any numbers on block. 94Z swap to a 95,,6,7' engine. No spark.

·
Global Moderator
13,118 Posts
I suggest going to following link & downloading the 95 & 96 service manuals. They should tell you how to id the engines. My Files

95 does not have cps on crank. But cps on crank is only used on 96-97 cars to detect misfires. It has nothing to do with engine running.

While in the various year service manuals, check out the wiring to see if it's correct. 96-97 coil & icm module have different connectors than 93-95 cars. Since you probably have the original engine wiring harness from the 94, you need to buy a 94-95 coil & icm module which will connect to 94 wiring connector.

If you plan on keeping your lt1 equiped car, I suggest buying a $70 PC based oscilloscope. You will use it to check if opti low & high resolution signals are present. And signals are the proper square wave. Scope is only 100% way of checking these signals.

Also use scope to check that 50 hertz fuel enable signal is present. Without the 50 hertz signal, fuel injectors will not spray fuel. This is part of vats security system. When you turn key on, make sure security light comes on, then goes out in a few seconds. If security light stays on, you have vats security problem that disables fuel injectors.

If your engine has an opti that is not GM, Delco, or Delphi, 99% chance it is no good. But test of low & high resolution signals will confirm this.

You might want to change the opti pigtail harness. It runs from opti to passenger side of intake manifold.

And you need an obd 1 scanner to read codes. Many codes do not light the check engine light. Once you get engine to run, a running sensor scan will show you if engine is running well or not. I assume your car has the original 12 pin dlc.

Also get a fuel pressure tester and see if you have about 43 psi when key on prime takes place. No or low fuel pressure will keep engine from running also. Also if you have a dtc 16 code, it disabbles fuel injectors & fuel pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts