LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an88 camaro with a 93 lt1, cai, shorty headers, custom y pipe, lm1 dumped before the axle, a/c delete pulley, 160*, stock 700r4, 2.73 gears and Stock suspension.

The headers can't change because I just spent way too much for the y pipe to fit. So the headers to exhaust will stay the same. Maybe stretched out to the rear but its not a big concern right now.

I just want to be able to keep up with the new 2010 ls3 and l99 camaros and walk a few stock. I want to be n/a

Cam only is as far is there a cam with more torque better than the cc503?
Most say search then others say their is better technology now.

Any help?

·
Global Moderator
13,431 Posts
That's a pretty tall order keeping up with the new cars. Start with ditching those 2.73 gears. While they are good for top speed and gas mileage, if you want to be quicker off the line some 3.73 gears would be what the doctor ordered.

Then a higher stall torque converter to go with the higher performance cam, valve springs, full roller rocker arms of the non self aligning type, hardened push rods, guide plates for push rod.

And how about some Elliot port works le1 or le2 heads to go on there.

And the money pit is just beginning. Once you get the go fast bug, be prepared to spend some serious $$$$$.

There's a cam selection guide in the sticky threads at top of this section.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a pretty tall order keeping up with the new cars. Start with ditching those 2.73 gears. While they are good for top speed and gas mileage, if you want to be quicker off the line some 3.73 gears would be what the doctor ordered.

Then a higher stall torque converter to go with the higher performance cam, valve springs, full roller rocker arms of the non self aligning type, hardened push rods, guide plates for push rod.

And how about some Elliot port works le1 or le2 heads to go on there.

And the money pit is just beginning. Once you get the go fast bug, be prepared to spend some serious $$$$$.

There's a cam selection guide in the sticky threads at top of this section.

That's the thing I want to stay away from the money pit it's took enough lol. 3.73 next on my list, just been hard to find a whole axle. I still learning about stalls. And I'm not sold on the cc503 because I love torque, i have the read the sticky, but most say there is better technolgy out there. And I don't want to touch my heads will this be possible??

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You aren't going to "walk" newer technology without heads. That is where their biggest advantage is, IMHO.
Can I barely beat em? Lol I can live with that they're pretty heavy

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would it be easier to get to 400 hp then beat them?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Also, weight reduction!!
Weight is 80% of the whole game!

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Very little chance of success with no heads, but that does not appear to be sinking in. Trying to make you car faster than this guy or that guy is an exercise in futility (especially if you don't want to make needed changes to make it happen). You won't ever be satisfied. Make your car like YOU want it and be happy.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very little chance of success with no heads, but that does not appear to be sinking in. Trying to make you car faster than this guy or that guy is an exercise in futility (especially if you don't want to make needed changes to make it happen). You won't ever be satisfied. Make your car like YOU want it and be happy.
I understand. I will need heads. Ported stock or aftermarket ? You guys know way more about lt1s then me. I'm trying keep it budget friendly ands heads are a little out of my budget. But if that's what it takes I need to start saving.

·
Registered
107 Posts
How much can I loose without being a tin can
Well, I'm not very familiar with 3rd gens but it all comes down to how much you need or want to keep....for instance, back seats, putting in lighter racing front seats, speakers,
Spare tire, jack, etc. Without going over board like carpet, sound deadner, headliner, etc...... Then there's lighter weight alternatives such as a tubular k member, and what not.....the possibilities are endless, just depends on what you consider practical and a "tin can" lol:lol:

·
Global Moderator
13,431 Posts
You gotta pay to play. If you want to run with the big dogs, be prepared to spend the bucks. Or else stay on the front porch with the little dogs.

·
Registered
300 Posts
M6 5th gens run high 12s @ 110. You're going to need gears and a stall if you go with the cc503. IMO it takes a cam to run with stock ls engines and H/C to run with a cammed ls. Good luck and show those porkers your tail lights!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You gotta pay to play. If you want to run with the big dogs, be prepared to spend the bucks. Or else stay on the front porch with the little dogs.
Well that's why I got rid of the lo5 lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
M6 5th gens run high 12s @ 110. You're going to need gears and a stall if you go with the cc503. IMO it takes a cam to run with stock ls engines and H/C to run with a cammed ls. Good luck and show those porkers your tail lights!
I been on camaro5.com and with bolt ons the new ss's are in 11s some even 10s.
So it looks like it would be easier to get to 400hp and mid 12s.
Any help now?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I would definitely would get some stuff from loyd elliot " http://elliottsportworks.com/ ", heads cam pacage, a tune, and im sorry to say this but in a LT1 long tube headers are a must! if you cant get a Y pipe, why not an X or H pipe? still you can dump them before the rear dif...

cc503 cams are pretty decent cams, actually very popular, old tech off the shelf cam, but one of the best you can use with stock heads...
If your looking for cheap horsepower you can port your heads, and get a thinner head gasket to bump up some compression.
also the TB can be ported up to 52mm.
you should always focus in traction, have you thought about your suspension setup?
ive seen completely stock camaros 4th gen lt´s run low 12s focusing in weight and traction with dot´s or dragradials....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Who doesn't like cheap n/a hp? My suspension is 25 years old. So after i find gears, I'm working on my suspension just don't know much yet and i don't wanna throw parts I can barely afford at it. So weight and traction might be where I need to start first as weight is my advantage.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What's my hp and est 1/4 mile time? My dad doesn't believe I'm "fast" lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
What's my hp and est 1/4 mile time?
that up to you to find out you'll have to take your car to the Dino to know your hp lol but, did you build your car? or did you buy it with the lt1? and a tune will deff help

1 - 20 of 141 Posts