LS1LT1 Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Lets review, you did buy the $EE def file from tunercat? I ask because I've seen some people try to add the EE file from tunerpro, into the tunercat program file. That doesn't work.

It's been many years since I've done any tuning. My memory grows foggier as each day passes. I've never worked with tunerpro, just tunercat. For actual tuning info, I'd run Steeveo's "EEhack". From what I understand, it will automatically populate tuning categories with a ball park set of values.

You can PM Steveo as he's a member here. But I believe you'll have better luck getting his attention at the gearhead efi forum. The forum also has many bib files of tunes other people have used in their cars. You can probably find a good starter tune that will let your elky run pretty well. You can fine tune the values to get her running just right.

I installed tunercat on my pc. But, I don't have a 94-95 lt1 car to plug my cable into anymore. Gearhead efi forum has many members that are well versed on the actual changes that are needed to get air/fuel mixture correct. Most of the categories in the tables & charts, remain unchanged from factory settings. If memory serves me correctly.

yes, i bought $EE def file from tunercat: and the instructions say to download it into the CATS tuner, which i verified it is there.

And yes i downloaded the free EE.XDF file(EE HACK)( i looked at Steeveo's thread for guidance) and then installed it into the tuner pro. And yes i believe you are right when you said it will automatically populate tuning categories with a ball park set of values. this is where i assumed it was the orignal OEM program settings that GM programed into the PCM.

And i did float around here on LS1LT1 and a little bit over on gearhead efi and saw where they talked about "bib files of tunes other people have used in their cars"(IDK what "bib" means as i am still learning the terminology). and i understand when then say "oh heres my tune that i edited/programed/set values this might work for you. So now i am under the assumption that basically i can use a persons customized bib file, load it into my tuner pro program and then download that "bib file" onto my PCM. I guess in the back of my brain i'm thinking, how would their customized program that they did for their own cars application work in mine? i guess i would have to find someone with the same exact modification as what i did to my engine. going off memory i have a little bit beefier cam, long tube headers and i think maybe thats it and to my understanding that would affect the PCM. What i also did was bore the cylinders out 30 over but that doesnt affect the PCM .

But yea, i can definitely tell i am in need of some air/fuel mixture settings probably because of the cam. i can smell it being too lean and 3-5 gallons of gas burns pretty quickly when the elky is just sitting in the garage idleing. i'll go back to gearhead efi, lurk around and get savvy enough to where i can start asking questions.

·
Global Moderator
12,966 Posts
It's not bib file, it's bin file. The bin file is the actual program that pcm uses to run engine/transmission. The $EE definition file is the file needed for tunercat to read your pcm to see what bin file is loaded in pcm.

As far as I know, Tunerpro does not upload bin files to pcm. EEHack will load a bin file that it's program has created, but I dom't think it will upload a bin file created by tuner pro, or a bin file that you downloaded from gearhead efi.

I suggest downloading a stock bin file for a 94 or 95 trans am or z28. Use the year bin file that matches year & type of engine & trans. See how stock tune runs in your elky. Then go through all the tables, charts, etc, using tunerpro or tunercat to read the pcm. Write down all settings.

Next, use EEHack to create a new bin file using your mods to get the ball park tune bin file. Read the new bin file created by EEHack and write down all info. Next, compare stock bin file to new EEHack created bin file. See what changes EEHack made to stock bin file.

Now, upload the bin file created by EEhack to your pcm using tunercat. Run car and see how it does. If in the ballpark, you can tweak the tune with help from the gearhead efi crowd.

If new tune still runs bad, go to gearhead efi and download some of the bin files for lt1 engine that have mods similar to yours. Read the bin files with TunerPro or tunercat. Write the info down again. Compare info to stock bin file and bin file that EEHack created. See what changes the high performance bin files made to stock bin file.

This is one of the ways you will learn the changes needed to be made to your pcm

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
i got back a reply from tunercat for help on installing the CATS tuner, after going through a couple possible instruction senerios lastnight i found one that works. Basically it was "try this, if this doesnt work then try this" very good trouble shooting instructions. i'm in the CATS tuner now and just seeing how it works. i havent plugged in the cable yet. Now its on to gearhead efi for more understanding/learning/applying.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts