LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys i was recently thinking about going forced induction on an LT1. If i do go through with it, will probably be on the stock bottom end. Do you think it would handle it on a daily driver. How much PSI should i be looking for? Now this car will be mostly street driven but on occasion taken to the Auto-X and the road course and every once iin a while to the good old 1/4 just to see what it'll do. So what do you think a turbo or super? What usually costs less? Which one usually makes more power, if theres a difference? Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
From what I have heard it is not a good idea to run any type of boost on an LT1 with a stock bottem or top end. Once you go forged though, then it's on!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've got a buddy with a Procharger running 9PSI on a all stock internal motor. Hes got over 30K miles with the blower on. Still running strong. I'm not exaclty sure of the power hes putting down.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
No more than 4 lbs on the stock bottom end is OK IMO. The compression is just way too high.

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
I'd run 6psi.

·
Registered
53 Posts
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/projectCar.php?car=7

Check out our '98 Formula above that has an ATI ProCharger P-1SC installed. The stock internals are doing just fine at 9 psi of boost, and car has run 11.34 at 118 mph!

We install ATI ProChargers weekly, and we normally shoot for 8 psi of boost, which is just fine with the excellent ATI ProCharger air to air intercoolers. Bob

·
Registered
42 Posts
Umm... to answer your questions... A turbo will almost undoubtedly cost you more, and will make more power, all other things equal. The supercharger takes power to make power, but doesn't take time to build up boost. Will you be doing this install yourself? If you plan on it, I'd suggest you familiarize yourself with forced induction setups, and how they work before you go fumbling around in your engine bay trying to put either a supercharger or turbocharger on. No offense, but from your post, I'm guessing you don't know a whole heck of a lot about either. As everyone else has said as well, if you do do it on stock internals, you better run on low psi if you plan on the engine staying together for any length of time...

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I am very well educated on Superchargers and Turbochargers, just not on the Lt1s. I just helped my two of my friends install their setups. A supercharger on a tiburon and a turbo on a tC.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I go along with all of you 6-8psi fine on stock engine,with any forced induction system, but once you develop the boost habit you become addicted, then its turbos all the way, and lag is about non-exsistant in a well done system, you learn to drive around it. also seems turbos work best with automatics or converters, you dont drop boost between shifts, and load em up on launch......RON

·
Registered
24 Posts
YES! controling detonation today ,with 93 pump gas, ALKY,WATER, or water/alky on hi boost engines,as good as race gas. there are kits that really work!........... as I said earlier hi-boost does require at stronger engine tho. RON

·
Registered
35 Posts
Gentner_Z28 said:
From what I have heard it is not a good idea to run any type of boost on an LT1 with a stock bottem or top end. Once you go forged though, then it's on!!
are you crazy? :eek: Lt1's are very stout motors. People throw spray on stock bottom end lt1's all the time with no ill results.

·
Registered
42 Posts
MooseKnuckles said:
are you crazy? :eek: Lt1's are very stout motors. People throw spray on stock bottom end lt1's all the time with no ill results.
Spraying is different than boost though. The high compression is the big issue here... which is not a problem with nitrous.

·
Registered
227 Posts
its all in the tuning of the car.

·
Registered
141 Posts
whats a price range on a supercharger? and dosent altitude have a little to do with how much boost you can run? would it be fine for 9psi at 5200 feet above sea level?

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know how high above sea level I am but I live in the DFW area. There really Is no price range. If I think it's worth it, I'll get it If i don't, then I won't. There is not set price ceiling.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts