LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 Firebird Formula that ticks cold or warm, 5 times fast, every 10 seconds or so at idle. As the rpm goes up, the ticking happens more frequently. I assume it’s something in the valvetrain, but I would think that it would tick every rotation if that was the case. Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be? Any help is very appreciated. Video of the ticking, it occurs at roughly 3 and 14 seconds through the video.

·
Global Moderator
13,611 Posts
Try removing serpentine drive belt and run engine. If ticking stops, one of your accessories is making the noise.

If you run engine for more than a minute or two, with no belt on, keep a close watch on coolant temp gauge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. I ran it without the belt for a minute or two and there was no ticking. WoLudhiana you have any idea what accessory could be causing it? It sounds like it is closer to the driver’s side, if that is of any help.

·
Global Moderator
13,611 Posts
Turn each accessory by hand. You might get lucky and hear the tick. But otherwise, turn each one feeling for free movement, but with the feeling of bearings that are well greased.

If one pulley turns too easily, & does not feel like there's enough grease in there, it's a prime suspect. Don't forget to turn the pulley on the ac compressor. The front part, where the belt rides should turn freely.

Then do the same check with ignition on & ac turned on.This should lock the 2 halves of pulley together so your actually turning the insides of compressor. This should be hard to turn but should turn by hand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turn each accessory by hand. You might get lucky and hear the tick. But otherwise, turn each one feeling for free movement, but with the feeling of bearings that are well greased.

If one pulley turns too easily, & does not feel like there's enough grease in there, it's a prime suspect. Don't forget to turn the pulley on the ac compressor. The front part, where the belt rides should turn freely.

Then do the same check with ignition on & ac turned on.This should lock the 2 halves of pulley together so your actually turning the insides of compressor. This should be hard to turn but should turn by hand.
Ok I’ll try that when I get a chance

1 - 5 of 5 Posts