LS1LT1 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
2 months later....and i still have this ticking issue!!!

Car has the 5.7L LT1 with the 4L60E if that helps.

Just got the car back from the 6th shop. He said I had an exhaust leak (they smoke tested the exhaust and found the leak and fixed it). He also went over all the valves and found one or two a little tight so he readjusted all to spec....however the car is still ticking....

The tick does not happen at all at idle, 1500 rpm, or above 2000 rpm. Right at 1800-1900 rpm is when the ticking happens. Even if I accelerate harder over 2000 rpm I still don't hear it.....just at that 1800-1900 rpm range.

He basically does not know what it is but thinks I'm worrying too much about it. I asked if he thinks it's the lifters, he says no cause they were "pumped" when he was doing the valves.

He changed the oil and did not find any metal shavings during the drain or in the filter (I had him strain the oil as it was drained and cut the filter open).

In the meantime, car runs and drives great (other than the 1900 rpm tick), still running strong, etc.

Here's a quick clip on the ticking...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IH...c-f3ubDChfDp29

·
Global Moderator
13,064 Posts
I would say, don't sweat the little stuff. If you've been to 6 different shops to diagnose the problem, you've probably spent enough money to have bought a good used engine. So unless the tick gets worse, or affects the whole rpm range, try to relax and enjoy driving your car.

My 90 camaro daily driver has clunks , rattles, squeaks, etc. Being an experienced mechanic, I ignore the noises that don't affect driveability or safety. I just turn the music volume up.

Or, you might spring for a new set of lifters, install them yourself with the aid of the 96 service manual at the following link. Youtube will also have videos to help you. www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

When you go to adjust the valve lash, the old shade tree mechanic trick will make it easy. You leave all the adjusting nuts loose, but tight enough that valves operate.

Start engine and tighten each adjusting nut until valve clatter stops on that rocker arm. You then tighten nut 1/4 turn more. Move to next valve. Because engine will be idling, oil loss will be minimal. So clean up should be easy.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
LOL..actually most of the shops haven't charged me anything as they didnt actually do any work (3 of the shops just skipped everything and try to sell me a Jasper engine).

Last shop didnt charge too much for the work either.

It's just strange that it only ticks at that RPM range.....I just wish there was a shop that could actually pinpoint the cause without resorting to just ripping the engine apart.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Harmonics? If you keep looking for noises ...... you'll probably find more at certain rpms..... maybe wait until it gets worse...so it can be picked out

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Harmonics? If you keep looking for noises ...... you'll probably find more at certain rpms..... maybe wait until it gets worse...so it can be picked out
Hmmm...I just started to wonder if the harmonic balancer could be a possible culprit.

Not sure how this all of a sudden started, and only at those rpm"s. Like I said. sounds perfect at idle. 1500 rpms. above 2000 rpms, etc. Seems to rev smoothly, and only makes that noise when it crosses the 1800-1900 rpm range (even if I accelerate harder i still dont hear it at the other rpm's).

I also tried to slowly bring the rpm's up, and once again, sounds perfectly normal until it hits 1800-1900 rpm...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have it at yet another shop (#7).

This shop knows LT1's pretty well and suggests it's one of the lifters on the driver side making that noise at that 1800-1900 rpm range, says it isnt staying pumped and starts to make noise.

Hes gonna replace all 16 lifters (finally....only took 7 shops to get this done).

Hopefully that will fix this!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi
I read a post on facebook last night about one of the Grubbworm LT1 motors.
It had a severe lifter tick for ages.
When the motor was stripped, one of the lifter gallery plugs had fallen out.
Motor still ran 180mph.

You'd have to take the timing cover off to check that though.

Mitch

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi
I read a post on facebook last night about one of the Grubbworm LT1 motors.
It had a severe lifter tick for ages.
When the motor was stripped, one of the lifter gallery plugs had fallen out.
Motor still ran 180mph.

You'd have to take the timing cover off to check that though.

Mitch
Thanks Mitch....they're actually replacing the timing cover gasket too since that's leaking coolant (i thought oil would be inside the timing cover)....

·
Registered
496 Posts
In that case they will be able to check the front gallery plugs are staked in.
Oil will be in the timing cover. Oil returning from the heads comes through 2 openings in the block in the valley either side of the water pump drive.
The LT1 gallery plugs also have a pin hole to spray oil onto the timing chain. Old SBC didn't.

If the plugs do have the pin hole, they might be able to run the oil pump & check for oil spray. It would indicate there was no blockage in the gallery.

HTH
Mitch

21 - 29 of 29 Posts