LS1LT1 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Bringing this back.
New slave came in yesterday, I held it with the rod facing down and opened the bleeder. I heard it fill up. I closed the bleeder after it started leaking out of it (held the bleeder side up for the air to excape) after that, I pushed the rod in far and then let it back out to the straps, did not remove the straps. Installed. The clutch has a tad bit more pressure than the auto bleed slave but still not lot. Doesnt seem like the slave pushes the pin very far either as the straps are not broken, they are just loose. it will push until the straps hit the sides of the slave but doesnt brake them.

Ideas?

Having a friend come over tonight to help me bleed it again while its installed. Just have them push the pedal, open the bleeder, let some fluid out and then close the bleeder. Hoping that will work somehow even though the bleeder is at the very bottom of the slave. :S

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
you slide the straps off the slave so the piston fully extends. pump it and bleed. Holding the slabve so that bleed port is up also.

after you bleed it this way (you didn't get full travel with straps on) just slide the straps back in and install slave.

The straps should break on the very first push of the clutch. If not, than there is still air in the system or MC is bad

I have a McLeod MC which is made by Wilwood. McLeod makes the "adapter" for it to mount in F-body. You can get it in either 3/4" or 13/16" bores. I have 13/16 and a replacment OEM type slave. I bench bleed the system as a unit out of the car and then installed it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
you slide the straps off the slave so the piston fully extends. pump it and bleed. Holding the slabve so that bleed port is up also.

after you bleed it this way (you didn't get full travel with straps on) just slide the straps back in and install slave.

The straps should break on the very first push of the clutch. If not, than there is still air in the system or MC is bad

I have a McLeod MC which is made by Wilwood. McLeod makes the "adapter" for it to mount in F-body. You can get it in either 3/4" or 13/16" bores. I have 13/16 and a replacment OEM type slave. I bench bleed the system as a unit out of the car and then installed it.
Ill definitely give that a try. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
What do you think about a 5/8 bore? Thats what I currently have. Maybe all 3 are blown out? None seem to be getting it to work. This all worked before in the other car, not sure why it isnt all working now. possibly the fork? How much play should be in the fork?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
What do you think about a 5/8 bore? ?
"stock" MC bore is 3/4". you can get a 7/8" also. My 13/16 is for a "twin" disc Mcleod clutch.

5/8" is small and may not be offering the volume needed to work right.

you can buy complete sealed replacement MC/slave for $117 at Rock auto or new MC and slaves seperate

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
"stock" MC bore is 3/4". you can get a 7/8" also. My 13/16 is for a "twin" disc Mcleod clutch.

5/8" is small and may not be offering the volume needed to work right.

you can buy complete sealed replacement MC/slave for $117 at Rock auto or new MC and slaves seperate
Ill try to find 3/4 master for my car and see what I can do. Its interesting how the 5/8 worked before but it doesnt now :(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well, going to order the 3/4 master cylinder and see if that helps at all. $200 so I hope it works. Can return it if it doesn't I guess so why not try right. Once it gets in, I will post here to advise if it worked or not.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
if you bought the McLeod MC (Wilwood) it will come with the braided steel line and fitting to go to your slave with the roll pin connection

or you can just get the plastic OEM type replacement at most auto part stores. rockauto.com has it for around $40 in 3/4"

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
if you bought the McLeod MC (Wilwood) it will come with the braided steel line and fitting to go to your slave with the roll pin connection

or you can just get the plastic OEM type replacement at most auto part stores. rockauto.com has it for around $40 in 3/4"
This is probably the same wilwood setup. Comes with the line, I myself am just not sure if the end is the right fitting as its for a LS1 swap instead. Not worried about the line though, I have a ton of steel braided lines, I just would have to search for the end fitting.
Dont think the plastic ones would work. Not sure if the adapter would work with the plastic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I did my clutch master slave and master cylinder 6 months ago. Bled before I installed it within 2 minutes. Make sure reservoir is highest then the slave, and master cylinder lowest. Pump the rod my hand 10-20 times and tap on the side of it to remove any bubbles. Worked great for me.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
This is probably the same wilwood setup. Comes with the line, I myself am just not sure if the end is the right fitting as its for a LS1 swap instead. Not worried about the line though, I have a ton of steel braided lines, I just would have to search for the end fitting.
Dont think the plastic ones would work. Not sure if the adapter would work with the plastic.

not sure why you got the MC for a LS motor if you have a LT1. McLeod makes them for LT1 specific. It has the adapter fitting that screws onto the braided line which then connects by roll pin to slave

pic is one I got (13/16 bore though) but they do make the 3/4" one for LT1 with a diffrent part #. You can rotate the McLeod mounting bracket the Wilwood MC attaches to by removing all the screws and re-positioning it. For my set up (non F-body) that is what I did. Basically McLeod uses the compact Wilwood MC and just makes the various angled adapters to mount it in the various model specific part #'s they offer.

If you need a adapter fitting for the connection to the stock slave, McLeod has them, but it came with my LT1 unit

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
not sure why you got the MC for a LS motor if you have a LT1. McLeod makes them for LT1 specific. It has the adapter fitting that screws onto the braided line which then connects by roll pin to slave

pic is one I got (13/16 bore though) but they do make the 3/4" one for LT1 with a diffrent part #. You can rotate the McLeod mounting bracket the Wilwood MC attaches to by removing all the screws and re-positioning it. For my set up (non F-body) that is what I did. Basically McLeod uses the compact Wilwood MC and just makes the various angled adapters to mount it in the various model specific part #'s they offer.

If you need a adapter fitting for the connection to the stock slave, McLeod has them, but it came with my LT1 unit
Because the LS one comes with the adapter needed.
The one pictured wont fit in my car as it is too long even if the mounting holes were universal.

I think you think this is for a camaro, though posted earlier in the thread, this is for a 240sx. A lot less space. The LS kit has already been made up and down for the car so its easier just to buy those parts.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
missed the 240Z part...

if for LS I bet the "adapter" brass fitting in the LT1 kit would screw onto the female braded line fitting of your line. McLeod sells just those fittings by themselves.

so if you have a LT1 pull type clutch than a 3/4" MC should work.

I don't have a F-body and also did a "transplant", mine is a B-body. I use 94-97 F-body hydraulics in my custom pedal assembly.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts