LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys I sold my 1994 z28! now I miss it so I found a red 1995 z28 auto with 36k miles... it been sitting for a few years now in a garage so Im going to look at it today the guy says it starts up for about 5 mins than stalls out... hes only asking $3000 car looks mint so I want to jump on this... but I want to know what you guys think the problems can be and what I can look at when I go there to trouble shoot it thanks!!!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hmmmm for only 5 minutes? Does it start getting hot? Can u start it again once its turned off???

·
Global Moderator
13,567 Posts
If car has been sitting for a few years, the gas in the tank is probably bad.

To expand upon workman's explanation, if it runs for a few minutes and won't crank back up, many times that's the icm causing that.

If it dies then cranks back up, sensors like the iac, tps, ect, and others could be acting up.

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
i've never seen a heat related ICM failure that would fail consistently in ~5 minutes (not to rule it out completely, but that would be really odd)

i'd buy it based on how well it runs for that 5 minutes, if you're willing to learn about diagnosis and find out how it's failing.

i'd immediately buy a cable for your laptop, and run freescan on it, that should give you a good idea of what's going on

the most expensive part that could cause that would be the opti

·
Registered
620 Posts
Lol nice coco!!! I was getting to the bad gas haha! I know this sounds trivial. But my friends corvette was acting funny like it would start up and abt 5 minutes later cut off. He replaced part after part until finally my cousin bobby said, dude check ur MAF. He checked it and replaced it and boom! Cars still on the road today.

Remove that gas.
Change that oil.
Also another thing its been sitting for a longg time, try and clean those fuel injectors. From personal experience with an old camaro after gas sits for so long it bcomes like dirty dust. U can put ur finger in it and wipe it on a surface and within a minutes all u have is a dirt trail.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Check fuel pressure and vacuum lines.
Maybe the filter is clogging or the injectors are loaded with gunk.

Pop the rad cap, and make sure there's no signs of overheating.
(even though the car can't even reach operation temp in 5 minutes, lol)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts