LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a forced induction topic, but it's more of an LT1 specific thing which is why I'm posting it here.

I've decided to go blower on my new motor instead of the large solid roller, simply for the same (if not more) power output but with greatly increased streetability. That said.......

I've got my blower choice narrowed down to two: Vortech T-Trim with aftercooler, or the ATI D-1SC with intercooler.

What kind or results/pros/cons of each are you guys out there seeing on LT1's????? The vortech is supposedly the better of the two, but the ATI's cost is extremely attractive ($4300 vs $5600).

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'd rather have the procharger just because of the air to air intercooler. I was never a fan of the aftercooler setup to be honest, too much of a PITA to deal with. That and the fact that it sits right on top of your motor, the thing is a damn magnet for heat.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've been running a Procharger for 3 years now. The only thing I've had trouble with is the idler pully bearing went bad.The one thing I like about Procharger is every time you call them with a question they are more than helpful, and they don't treat you as like you're just another number.

·
Registered
79 Posts
ok i have been around both, as far as fitting them up the vortec seems to fit better, but the procharger will last longer, and produce more power. and if you are going with a ATI i would suggest a D-1 on a stock engine, wont last long or you wont run much boost. the P1 is just fine for that engine (stock) now if you wanting more that 800 hp than go to the D1 but if you are not wanting something under a 10 sec. pass then go with the p1.
the only other bad thing i have heard about procharger is that the seals in the self containing s/c go out. but mine hasnt yet

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, motor definintely isn't going to be stock. I'm hoping to re-use my bottom end which consists of an Eagle ESP Crank (3.48 stroke), Eagle ESP Forged H-Beam rods (5.7"), and a .030 over block. It's only got like 500 miles or less on it, so hopefully we won't need to take it another .010 over. Just grab some new 8.5-9.0:1 pistons and throw in some new bearings and be done.

Valvetrain setup is going to consist of AI TFS heads, nothing severe, just a good port, along with a cusom hydraulic roller cam.

Right now I'm REALLY leaning towards the D-1SC as it will be more efficient than the P-1SC. The shop with my motor right now is a large ATI dealer, and I was told that he can get the D-1SC kit with teh twin intercoolers for aout $4K, which beats TByrne by about $200-300.

Computer system is another thing. I'd like to run about 16-18# of boost, but I'm not sure how far the stock computer can be taken. If it won't work, I'll make the jump to the FAST computer.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, here's the decisions so far:

Keep the bottom end I've got. We're going to add low compression pistons (haven't decided what or compression yet), splayed 4 bolt mains, and O-ring the block. Eagle ESP crank and Eagle ESP Forged H-Beams.

I've got a set of TFS 195CC bare castings sitting next to me right now. VERY nice pieces. Once I get the deal worked out with Advanced Induction they're heading that way. Going to have AI do the valvetrain setup, custom blower cam (nothing too large though, I want to efficiently move around on the street), and intake manifold work.

And I've decided on the ATI D-1SC with the twin high flow intercoolers. I'm starting with those, and once everything is in and running I may take a look at a spearco FMIC for a bit more efficiency, but the problem there lies in where to mount without cutting up the front. Reasoning for the ATI was cost, self contained, and customer service. The shop with my motor right now is a large ATI dealer so I'd have customer service right there.

And all in all it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a FAST XFI system for a couple of things. Tuning ease, ability to run a low impedance injector, and ability to run up to a 5 bar MAP (not that I'll need more than a 2 or 3).

So, my goals have become to run about 15-18 PSI of boost through it, and I'd like to see the car sitting in the area of 650+ RWHP. Figure that should be good enough to tear the tires loose at 80 on the highway and make some pretty high trap speed 12 second passes at the track in street trim. :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts