LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just lettin' yall in on my winter project for the TA. I've been doing alot of measurin', thinkin' and researching the last few weeks and I'm gonna put a roots blower on my car. I've had a lil gmc 4-53 forever and just realized it's the same size as a Weiand 142, perfect for the street.

I've found a place that makes everything I need for it to convert it for use on a gas engine. The main problem is making an intake, I don't know if I wanna start from scratch or try to mill down an LT1 intake and make it work. Another problem is the injectors, I might have to angle them in towards the center of the intake because this blower is almost as wide as the intake. I don't know how or if that will affect fuel delivery.

I've always wanted a roots blower on a motor and I'm gonna make it happen, oh this will be fun!! :D Gimme a few months and I'll have it done, then I'll need somebody very good to tune it, I know nothing about tuning a blown fuel injection car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good luck with the project,keep us up to date on it as you progress with it:)

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've seen this done on a 93 Formula and it was very sweet. A lot of work but very cool when done. Let us know what you come up with.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I read a few threads over at cz28.com where I believe [email protected] had done this with an eaton M112. I'm hoping to get away without having to cut the cowl but I don't really know how much plenum volume a blower needs, we'll see. I think he fit the blower under it but had to cut it for the cold air piping and he had to cut some of the bracing on the stock hood. If I have to I'll get a ram air hood of some sort.

I have a question, I'm not too swift on fuel injection, what exactly does the MAP sensor do? It reads how much vacuum is in the intake, right? Well, if you supercharge then won't it screw the ecm up because it will see boost most of the time. Is this something you "fix" with tuning??

Anybody got an LT1 intake they wanna get rid of cheap? Might have to check out ebay.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The MAP sensor reads Manifold Air Pressure. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but anything below atmospheric pressure is vacuum and anything over is boost. When at WOT you should see atmospheric(or just below it) unless you have a restriction in the intake system. Alot of people with boost are converting to a 2-bar MAP sensor so the PCM will correctly read higher boost levels.

·
Registered
227 Posts
im sorry but your most likey gonna have to chop the hood.

·
Registered
227 Posts
dunno how good you are a tig welding but makin a sheet metal intake, you MAY be able to fit it with a huge cowl hood. we have done this on impalas and hook clearence isnt an issue.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just bought an intake, I'll start machining on it soon as I get it. I'd like to have a ram air hood or some sort of cowl hood but the other dude only had to cut some bracing on the stock hood for the intake ducting. The hood is the least of my worries anyway. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the intake today. I didn't know the runners were that "tall", not sure I can machine it down as far as I want to without alot of patching and welding. I might be better off making an intake from scratch, gotta do some more figuring and measuring.

·
Registered
173 Posts
You could buy another hood, save yer currrent one and then cut up the new one. You could even get a fiberglass one to lose some weight while your at it! :eureka:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts