LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 camaro z28 and for some reason the coolant fan isn’t kicking on. Me and my grandfather work on the car and it can’t sit long or it will overheat (obviously) but I don’t know exactly how to fix the problem because the fans work and run when you unplug the switch near the water pump but as soon as you plug it back in they turn off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Global Moderator
13,559 Posts
Go to the shoebox site. He has all sorts of lt1 info. www.shbox.com
collant fan info in electrical section #4

Next go to this site and download the 93 factory service manual. It will have everything you need to know about troubleshooting coolant fans. The 93 service manual is for the firebird. But most mechanical & electrical things are same as camaro.

If you have an obd 1 scanner that is able to do running sensor data, I would do a running scan and see what coolant temp that computer is seeing. It's different sensor than gauge. sensor in water pump is for coolant temp sent to computer. Gauge sender is in engine block or maybe at back of cylinder head on 93.

When you unplug the coolant temp sender in water pump, it tells computer to turn on the fans. So you know that fans work.

Primary fan turns on at 226 degrees, while secondary fan turns on at 236 degrees. When you say engine is overheating, is gauge in the red zone or just near it? I ask because the fan turn on temps are very high. So make sure that on a running sensor scan that coolant temp that computer sees is same or close to gauge temp.

Unplugging cts is not recommended as a solution to fans not running. The computer needs the coolant temp to control fueling of engine.

At shoebox site, he has instructions on setting up a manual fan switch. #'s 5 & 6 in electrical section. It coolant temp sensor for computer is reading correctly and fans won't run, the manual fan switch is a simple solution.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cars gauge goes up very close to the red zone but I always turn the car off then, afraid of overheating it. Is there a specific obd1 scanner you recommend? I will check out his website and see what I can come up with. Thank you very much for the help also and I will let y’all know what I come up with.

·
Global Moderator
13,559 Posts
The only obd1 scanners I can come up with off the top of my head. They are PC based scan programs that are free to download.

1st is called "freescan". It will scan for codes & do running sensor scans. Do a google search to find it.

The next scan program is called "scan 9495" It does 93 lt1 equiped cars also. Get it at the following link.
www.mediafire.com/?0elo4c935uc5s

Download the newest version in the v8 lt1 folder. To use the program you will need dot net format. It's in a folder on the same page as scan9495.

Using either program will require a cable to connect aldl to usb port of PC. Get at www.obd2allinone.com/aldl.asp
Get the 12 pin version.

I don't know what handheld obd 1 & obd 2 combo hand held scanners will work on a 93 z28.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if I install free scan and hook the car to my laptop it can tell me if any of my sensors are bad while the car is running?

·
Global Moderator
13,559 Posts
The program will show you if any sensor readings are out of normal limits. This, however, doesn't mean that sensor is bad.

Things like bad, power supply wires, grounds, connector faults, can cause sensor readings to be off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts