LS1LT1 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM ACCEL. Well that's what I'm being told. The high rpm thing does but doesn't make sense. I was out last week and had to show off all the recent work to a mustang, right after that was done it started idling rough as if it had a burned wire and I've been clueless as to why. This makes sense now. Ya think performance parts would perform with the amount of work we do to these monsters.

·
Registered
337 Posts
GM replacement parts, i.e. Delco or Delphi are your best bets when it comes to optis. I had an Accel that lasted about 10K miles, started backfiring etc. It seems that the "performance" brands i.e. MSD and Accel are inferior to the original parts.
Don't settle for anything but Delco or Delphi optis, anything else is inferior.
94GTTA- check your plug wire connections at the opti. They can be loose or not seated properly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
so are those generic distributor that bad that they melt???, i mean is that normal for the whole thing to melt on the inside???? so i also found out the previous owner had taken out the o2 sensors from the headers and he replaced it with a screw and weld it around, this car has been a nightmare so far had it 3 weeks and its been at the shop 2 and half . . .

·
Registered
155 Posts
@Psycho,yea I had an issue with the number two wire coming off the opti and had to pop it back on. I started a thread about the issue and have gotten some great responses. I had taylors on it,switched to msd super conductors,which are a pain to pop on and that's when the issue started. The shop that did the build ran two wires too close to the headers thus I needed new ones. Anyone had similar issues with the msd boots popping off due to vibration?

@otherwoman,welcome to the circus known as lt1 ownership. Its a love/hate relationship. I was under the assumption when I bought this car that only performance names mean business. One granatelli maf and an accel opti and msd later I've learned.

Anyone know of a site where the delphi or delcos are cheaper than 670? My local dealerships want 700 plus due to age of car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im new to site, doing a lt1 motor swap to my s10. Motor im using has 98,000 miles on it, sounds and runs good. Should i even mess with the distr at this time before i put it in or just leave it. Truck may get 6,000 miles a yr at best.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
You could always take it off and inspect it for preventive maintenance value. Cap and rotor are wear items. If the bearing is noisy or wobbly, replace the whole thing. You could also just leave it alone, if it is running good.

This is a terribly old thread with people complaining about the opti. Ignore the whiners.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 94 formula has gone throught FOUR opti sparks in 7 thousand miles...The car is stored in a garage evey day, driven only locally...friends have suggested because the garage is not heated the hot/cold temps here in NY are causing moisture to form and kill my Delco Optis...
Either way i can't heat the garage....
i'm losing money and hope....Is there any reason for me to think the DELCO unit i installed today will last ???

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Wow... Old thread...back from the dead...

In my opinion, the OptiSpark system leaves a lot to be desired. When everything works correctly, it's a decent system which was ahead of it's time when it came out in '92. But, since GM hasn't used this system since '97, all of the quality suppliers of electronics have long since quit making parts for them. What you have left is parts of unknown quality being used, even by Delco, to rebuild the Optis.

Here is the solution... EFI Connection, LLC - Welcome to www.eficonnection.com

There is no comparison... 24x conversion all the way...!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 95 Roadmaster started idling very low and misfiring after a day of hot highway driving with no moisture, then died. Lots of fuel smell, shakes like a sob when it does start, and now after several attempts, dies immediately. I stopped trying to start it for fear of flooding the hell out of it. Anybody have an idea whether this is the opti or maybe a coil or pcm problem?

·
Global Moderator
13,060 Posts
Only 100% way of testing low & high resolution signals of opti is with an oscilloscope. Lucky that you can buy a PC based scope for around $70 on Ebay, Amazon, etc.

The scope will show the square wave signal of low & high res signals. With it you can check for proper square waves, look for drop outs of signal, & check for distorted signal. Also good for checking the 50 hertz fuel enable signal required for injector operation. It's a square wave also.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts