LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is selling hiw ZEx dry universal kit that has a 75 shot. I know it is a small shot, but i can get it cheap so i am thinking of getting it. I was wondering what an lt1 with 75000 miles on it is capable of handling from the nitrous. What would i have to do to run this in my car safely? What kind of tuning would i need to be able to run this?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry i spelled nitrous wrong- my bad

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not sure about a dry kit...but I have a NX wet kit and 103k miles spraying 100...no problems yet...but I've only sprayed it a couple times on the street. Just dont spray below 2500-3000....which with an M6 I'm guessing you launch higher than that anyway. All I'm gonna have on mine is a WOT switch, which I have now, and a window switch. Bottle heater is good to bring the pressure up. Purge to clear the lines is good too...but those last 2 things aren't necessary

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
with a 75 shot do you think i should change my plugs and put a higher pound injector in for fuel delivery or do you think ill be okay

·
Registered
96 Posts
Like I said I don't know anything about the dry kits....but as far as plugs yes you should change them to Autolite 104 or NGK TR6, gapped @ .035" or .040"

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I would at least lower the gap on the plugs, but probably go ahead on put in the 104s.
And the dry shot should be entering the intake track pre MAF so the MAF will add the extra fuel needed. If it is post MAF then you will need something to boost the injectors when on the hose. ala NOS brand kits have a seperate regulator that attaches to the FPR and ups the pressure on the hose. But I think the Zex kits are to be mounted preMAF and lets the MAF do the work.

Buddy use to run the Compucar "in the bag" kit with no jets on a stock motor and was really fast until he missed the shift on the M6 and popped a piston.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The ZEX dry kit isnt a really good kit in my research.

it works just like the NOS dry kit, except it only uses one solenoid and lacks the NOS regulator/ mechanical servo to dampen the shock to your fuel system. It also lacks any sort of fuel pressure adjustability. What this translates to is a fuel pressure shock of about 125 PSI initially, then lowering down to the standard 80 PSI. The kit is great for plug n play, but it isnt the safest reguardless of what their media hype says, and is obviously not the most adjustable kit out there.

as far as tuning for it, the zex kit goes in after the MAF, just like the NOS kit, so you will need to tune a little bit. I would drop one heat range in plugs and tighten the gap to about .035 you will also need to bring your timing down. I would pull 4 degrees out just to be real safe, and then dial some back in after looking at the timing marks on your plugs (this is for the base 75 shot)

the fuel story is the only other thing to work with. you will be fine with stock injectors, and the kit should have a jet chart based on stock injector sizes. People always think that with a dry kit you need to go with bigger injectors, but there are a variety of reasons that dont make it nearly as big of an issue as people think. To put it in retrospect, i have used the NOS dry kit for years and i make about 300 HP at the wheels on my stock puny 19# injectors. I have sprayed a 150 shot on top of this out of those in jectors with no problems at all.. thats roughly 450 HP being supported by tiny 19# injectors.
Much over a 100 shot and i would upgrade the fuel pump if its still stock to support the nitrous fuel pressure demands.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree, the ZEX dry kit is a litte sketchy with the feul enrichment. Also ZEX uses small noids and even a 75 shot wont feel like much. I am going with a NX wet kit with Iceman noids and WOT switch with a low end limit switch of 3000RPM. I would save your money cause a stock LT1 can take a 125 shot wet kit pretty easily with a good margin of safety. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
221 Posts
What are you guys talking about timing? i mean a 75 shot you shouldn't have to touch the timing..... im even informed that a 125 is easily ran on stock timing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well since I dont like buying new internals.. i retard the timing for even a 50 HP shot untill i can look at the plugs and play with the timing from there.

2* for every 50 HP of nitrous and you cant go wrong.. sure, you can get away with 125, i have even heard of 150 shots on base 10* mustang timing,.. I strongly suggest people be sheepish with timing on nitrous.. start safe and make it agressive. you can always go closer to the ragged edge, but you cant do anything if you go too far and eat some pistons up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts