LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can give me a little advice when it comes to my 96 TA lt1. The car has 107k on her and is all original except wheels. We changed the opti out and the coil, gave her a tune up and it still laggs when you push the gas and after it warms up to temp. Now ice read that if the opti gets wet it can ruin it??? What would have to get wet? The plug? And is there anything anyone can think of that needs to be done to correct any situation with the fire on these motors!? I've recently learned they aren't to popular but I'm new to them and don't know what if anything needs to or can be replaced to make it any better? I guess my biggest question is on a lt1 what are some "need to do" or have to do things to make them better than they can be and to correct any issue in these motors? Can the mass air flow make it miss like that? Because I know mine is bad and have one on order! I had to unplug it just to get it to start! Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

·
Global Moderator
13,372 Posts
What you need to do is connect an obd 2 scanner to car. Read codes as there are a bunch that don't light the SES light.

Do a running sensor scan also. See what the sensors are saying. It is very common for engines to run well when cold ( open loop operation) and to have problems when engine warms up ( closed loop operation).

When engine is in open loop, the PCM ignores many sensor readings and has a preset program for cold operation. When engine goes to closed loop, the PCM rely's on sensors that it didn't use in open loop. These sensors include the o2's, maf,, etc.

If you haven't a clue as to what sensor data means, PM me with your email address. I'll send you the pdf file of scanner readings and what they mean.

Now for the opti. If you bought any opti besides GM, Delco, Delph, you bought junk. Do yourself a favor and buy one of the opti's listed above.

Also buy a PC based oscilloscope. It's the only 100% way of testing the low & high resolution signals that opti sends to PCM. About $70 at ebay, amazon, etc.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can give me a little advice when it comes to my 96 TA lt1. The car has 107k on her and is all original except wheels. We changed the opti out and the coil, gave her a tune up and it still laggs when you push the gas and after it warms up to temp. Now ice read that if the opti gets wet it can ruin it??? What would have to get wet? The plug? And is there anything anyone can think of that needs to be done to correct any situation with the fire on these motors!? I've recently learned they aren't to popular but I'm new to them and don't know what if anything needs to or can be replaced to make it any better? I guess my biggest question is on a lt1 what are some "need to do" or have to do things to make them better than they can be and to correct any issue in these motors? Can the mass air flow make it miss like that? Because I know mine is bad and have one on order! I had to unplug it just to get it to start! Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance
What about spark plugs and spark plug wires are they orginal, if so replace them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts