LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, two people I know are working on their F-Bodies and I thought they'd make a hell of a race. What do you think?

The LS1: Okay my friends dad has a 2002 M6 Camaro Z28. He did an SLP Heads and Cam package (500HP at the Crank) and made 442 rwhp and 400 rwtq. He revs to 6800RPMS and his horsepower never even peaked, after redline it kept rising. He has since then put on a LSX intake, a 90mm TB and some injectors. After his tune, he's planning on putting down 475 horsepower at the wheels. He has the stock 10 bolt out back, and some 315 BFGs. He doesn't think his car is fast enough so hes taking his heads and putting them on the new LS7 block and throw a bigger cam in there. He plans on revving to 7K RPMS just like the LS7. He wants to get at least 550 at the wheels through the stock rear end. 3.42 Gearing.

The LT1: My brother's friend just finished his 97 WS6. I know a little less about this car but ill give you what I know. Its a Stroked 396 LT1 that has been turbocharged and is pushing 10 PSI (it may be 6 but im pretty sure its 10). He has some AFR heads, revs to 6500 RPMS (Pretty Sure), and a mild cam. The car is a M6, he has the stock rear end and gearing, and also as 315 BFGs out back. He wouldn't give up his dyno numbers, but it pulls like a freaking freight train.

So what do you guys think? Whos race do you think it would be?

·
Registered
141 Posts
thats a close call to me i think it depends on the driver. but if i had to chose one id say the ws6. oh and i like ur vtec statments

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it'd be a hell of a race. I gotta try and get em together!

·
Registered
656 Posts
If they are gonna race at the track they both will be investing in new rear ends very soon. :lol:

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gettinthere said:
I'm kinda curious as to how 5.7L heads will fit on a 427 block.
He says hes pretty sure they'll fit and that they'll feed it nicely, but if they dont he can always give them to my buddie, his son, then they'll both have bad ass LSx engines!!!

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Remeber guys it not a classic old BBC 427 its the new LSx series 427 block.

·
Registered
612 Posts
its not a matter of whose faster, its a matter of whose rear blows second

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Enthusiast said:
Remeber guys it not a classic old BBC 427 its the new LSx series 427 block.
no shit, you did say LS7

Phoenix57 said:
its not a matter of whose faster, its a matter of whose rear blows second
:roflmao: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Yeah no they wont fit. Just another case of people not building cars the correct way. Its a race to not blow a rear.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What is different between a LS2 427 BLOCK and an LS7 427 Block?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Dont quote me here but i believe the bores? I dont no much about the ls7, but i think it is an actual 427. And an ls1/2 to make a 427 has to be sleeved.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Enthusiast said:
the LS2 is not a 427, it can be a re-sleeved to be a 427
the LS7 is a 427, and to my knowledge its redesigned from the LS1/2/6 so the heads wont match up

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Enthusiast said:

As far as I know there isn't a 427 LS2 block availible. ANd then with the heads there is a big size difference. The 5.7L heads are for a 346ci motor. The 427 block is a 7.0L.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
gettinthere said:
As far as I know there isn't a 427 LS2 block availible. ANd then with the heads there is a big size difference. The 5.7L heads are for a 346ci motor. The 427 block is a 7.0L.
You can resleeve an LS2 to make an 427. And I contacted SLP about the heads and fitment issues. We will have our answer soon enough. And on the SLP website it says the heads will fit any LS1/LS2/or LS6 up to 427 cubic inches.So 5.7L heads will fit on an LS2 7.0L so why would they not fit on an LS7 7.0L. I have complete faith in this man. I believe he knows his crap. No one has every turned a bolt or layed down a coat of anything on his car but him. He has modded his car very meticulously and thouroughly. I would trust my car in his hands more than anyone else on this planet. He does his own bodywork, which is awesome, installs his own steroe system, which is better than any professional job i've seen, and installs all his own parts. This man is a perfectionist and will accept nothing less than perfect for any of his cars. I take these shots at him for not building his car right to heart because you guys don't know him like I do. Oh and I can take some Edelbrock heads designed for a pontiac 455 and throw them on my pontiac 350 with no problems. About blowing the rear end. If someone blows there rear its there own damn fault and they shouldnt complain about it. It's called throttle control men. Hes been to the track many times, usually lays the smacketh down then comes home with a completely healthy rear end.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
They fit on an ls2 427 because its still an ls2block. hey wont fit on a ls7 because its an actual 427.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Enthusiast said:
And on the SLP website it says the heads will fit any LS1/LS2/or LS6 up to 427 cubic inches.So 5.7L heads will fit on an LS2 7.0L so why would they not fit on an LS7 7.0L.
i believe the LS7 block has a different head bolt pattern, therefore a LS1 head will not fit a LS7 block

but a LS2 block has the same head bolt pattern and this is why the LS1 head will fit a re-sleeved 427 LS2 block

at least this is how ive interperated it, some one correct me if i am wrong

1 - 20 of 33 Posts