LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current TA is a 1997 ws6 m6 with mods existing when i bought it. I've owned two 1996 TA s before so I've got lots of random extras laying around. Anyhow i pulled the ckp sensor today and isn't like the one i had from a 1996 in toolbox. I thought they'd be the same for sure. I tried looking around online comparing them and looks like one from a ls motor. We re the sensor plugs into the case it has a plastic housing. The 96 sensor has a magnet. I'm wondering if this is an upgrade? The 96 sensor was to large to fit in theplace ofcurren one. The car has just over 100k mls. Hooker sc lt headers y pipe. 4.10s. Oddly wired nos system. Short shifter. And not sutte what else. Iput newplugs and wires header gaskets cleaned and replaced various sensors cleaned up some messy wiring etc.
Still having a misfire though, which led to the ckp sensor. When i took it out to clean it i was stumped with the difference. I believe this car may have other mods , internal.
Anybody suggestions or answers would be greatly appreciated.

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
Don't know about interchange on cks sensor, but cleaning it or replacing it won't stop misfiring. The cks has 1 job in a lt1. It is to detect and tell pcm of misfires. But will not cause misfires itself.

If you are misfiring. do the old fashioned dampen the plug wires and run at night to detect spark leakage. Make sure there are no burnt wires from header contact.

Change plugs and wires. Then move on to new cap & rotor for the opti. While in the opti, take off inner shielding and examine optical compartment for corrosion, oil, and coolant. If these are found in there, your opti's days are numbered. So in that case, forget the cap & rotor and go for a new opti.

And stay away from the cheap optis. GM, Delphi, MSD, or, Dynaspark if still being made are the only halfway good choice you can made.

Just read a recent post where member got cheap opti. Replaced it 3 times before he finally got a good one. Yes they will give you a new one if the one you order is bad. But how many times would you want to r&r the opti before car runs right.

Which brings me to the point; if you change opti, no matter which brand, before you put water pump back on, and all the other stuff that has to come off to change opti, start car and see if it runs. Only for a few seconds mind you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i changed the Opti on my last ta. I routed my wires nicely, no worries there. I wasn't sure about the ckp and misfire.
I was more curious about my sensor being different than the 96. I do agree that I may be looking a new Opti soon. I can tell the water pump and distributor are original. Most likely dirty and causing the misfire.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts