LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to state I am new to site and have purchased a jeep rock crawling buggy with a 95 LT1 motor in it. I have zero information on this engine and have never had a vehicle with the LT1 in it. I'm just curious if anyone can point me in the right direction on identifying engine and what i can do as far as bolt on performance upgrades. I want to make this engine come alive over the next 6 months or so. But would like to add some bolt ons pretty quick and upgrade or fix any problematic issues that might plague the LT1. Any help or responses are appreciated.

·
Registered
265 Posts
LT headers open these boys right up.

Opti Spark and Head Gaskets are pretty much the norm I see for weakness on these motors.

Check out Shoebox's Camaro site for pretty much any info you need to work on em.

All the mods I have in my sig REALLY opened up the motor. It's like a whole different beast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has headers already, so that's a plus. I've been doing my research and it seems the opti spark module is a pain in the ass. How are they to change. Are they a pita to change out if need be. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I didnt find it all that bad to be honest. Course I've had to change an Alternator on a 6.0 Powerstroke in a Van and THATS a PITA.

Basically you just gotta remove the Water Pump and harmonic balancer/hub to get access to the Opti. Not hard at all just a little time consuming.
http://www.fierolt1.com/lt1_95_up_OptiReplace.htm

And buy Quality with these. Dont get the Ebay systems or you'll be back there in a couple months lol. My Original GM Unit lasted 120k miles and was still working when I Preventive Maintenance changed it (was replacing Cam).

You can always replace 90% of the Opti system with an aftermarket system that uses LS1 Coilpacks.

Above all DONT GET IT WET.....dont even sneeze on it lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well shit that's not good as its a rock buggy that I'm sure at some point will get some water from the tires thrown on it. Where would I find the information or parts to get rid of the opti spark and change over to coil packs.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Fix Your Opti-Spark in an Hour or Two

I live in Oregon under constant rain and I don't have issues. But then again I'm not sailing through the puddles either lol.

Also pay note it sits directly under the weep hole of the water pump (yea rocket science...). A lot of us will adapt a bushing on the weep hole to route any leaks around the opti. As long as you're not going through lakes you SHOULD be ok cause the Opti is behind the Harmonic Balancer for the most part.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just read that whole right up. Sounds like that might be the ticket if I have any problems out of it. I'm going to do a full tune up and see how it runs. I may go ahead and do a new timing chain and water pump as well. Thanks for the info man. Really appreciate the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts