LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I want to build one mean ass LT1 or LT4, that will take any mildly modded LS1 and maybe a few heavily modded ones. What would you guys consider the best LT1 or LT4 head that can be used on the street. I want to have really good heads then I wont have to have such a monstrous cam (I do plan going pretty big though) to meet my power expectations (about 440rwhp through an M6 of course). I want to do this on a stock 350 bottom end but will be stepping up to a 383 after a while. So I need something that will feed a 350 nicely but a 383 even better. I dont know if I should get some LT1s ported, LT4s ported, AFRs Ported, or even the edelbrocks. What would you say would be the best head for my plans?

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Ported AFRs all the way. The edelbrocks ported aren't much better than a ported stock casting LT1 IMO.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kinda flow numbers can I expect from ported AFRs? Would you go with The LT1s or LT4s?

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you guys think the LE2 heads will feed a 383?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Kind of sounds like a hot or miss to me. What will work with a 350 wont work well on a 383 most likely. Dont want to go too big on a stock 350 or you will have to flycut the pistons which is a waste of money. Do it right the first time and start building or have built for you a nice 383.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Honestly, I don't consider a ported LT1 head to be a good match on a 383. It just doesn't have the runner volume or cross sectional area to feed a 383 the air it needs above about 6000 RPM very well.

If you're going with more cubes, look at the AFR's or Trick Flows.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Exactly so just build you a 383 and get it all done at once instead of h/cing a stocker then going back and doing a 383.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Fastbird said:
Honestly, I don't consider a ported LT1 head to be a good match on a 383. It just doesn't have the runner volume or cross sectional area to feed a 383 the air it needs above about 6000 RPM very well.

If you're going with more cubes, look at the AFR's or Trick Flows.
Could not agree more!

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Check out RPM and VRE, sponsors here. They are very reasonable on their shortblocks too.

Golen had a 383 buildup article in GMHTP lately.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
santa_rosa_lt1 said:
yup they made like 430ish hp right?? im thinking of getting the 396 shortblock
Yes, but that wasn't the $2599 block. You have to read the fine print, $2599 looks cheap but realize that includes a cast crank and cast pistons. IMO its not worth building a motor w/o forged pistons. They do include 4 bolt mains in that price though, which is good.

·
Registered
42 Posts
the $3,600 is 4340 forged crank.i showed the cheap one because for the mist part no ones gonna be putting down 450+hp in a DD.but it is cheap insurance and a piece of mind knowing that id would stand up to it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
1970judge said:
Exactly so just build you a 383 and get it all done at once instead of h/cing a stocker then going back and doing a 383.
I agree,but I took it from his post that he wanted to do a H/C stock bottom end then somewhere down the road...

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What about this plan? H/Cing an LT1, if thats not enough power, build up a motor simultaneously to driving the car, and when its ready, DROP IT IN. I like that one!

·
Registered
47 Posts
i have a 383 with 2 4's in a 1975 camaro love it

·
Registered
724 Posts
i dont know if youre looking for heads, but my friend has a set of unused trick flow heads that he got for his 97 z28, but then he wrecked it, so they were never used.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts