LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys I have a 95 Camaro z28 auto. car has 36k miles and it sat for a few years.

things I have done since I got it

-oil change
-fuel filter
-opti
-spark plugs
-timing cover seals besides the seal behind crank pully
-cleaned maf
-changed belt
-cleaned fuel injectors
-removed cat
-cleaned IAC
-cleaned out throttle

pretty much everything I have done since I got it a month ago

so here is my problem. I filled up the other day and drove about 30 miles my tank was above F. and by the time I got home about 30 mile trip it was on 1/4 of a tank. now what could be the problem? im confused car is also running rough. not really like misfiring just shaking and not running perfectly

·
Registered
138 Posts
Might just be a gauge problem. Fill it up to the max and drive it 30 miles till it drops like that and then go fill it back up. Its probably not drinking that much gas

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh no it is I should of put this in there sorry!! I thought the same thing a gauge problem. I ran out of gas after having the car running for about 20 mins outside my friends house... would any 02 sensors cause your engine to be rough and shake? and also use gas like this! I scanned it and no problems

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
yep bad o2 sensors would do that, or leaky injectors, or whatever

a good starting point might be to let it warm up and drive it a bit, then pull right over at home, wait till it cools off, and pull one spark plug from each side, and read them to see if it's actually running that rich.

try jumpering the prime connector, car not running, and look around under the car and under the hood for gigantic fuel leaks..

also smell your engine oil, as that rich of a running condition (30 miles to the tank) would probably wash out your rings and contaminate your oil fairly quickly...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Just don't use bosch. Use denso I believe is the new one gm is using.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Oh yeah they would! My o2 sensors are on their way out right now and the car gets 9mpg, shudders and misfires while accelerating, and has a decent loss of power. Plus the code has been thrown a and my ses light comes on now and again. And all I have are 2 o2's

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If your auto zone happens to carry denso or acdelco, then go for it. Otherwise order them online. Just don't get bosch. Even tuners say they just don't work with our cars. Good o2 sensors are worth the price.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If say your O2's read lean, they signal the PCM to increase the amount of fuel through the injectors...the opposite if they read rich, which apparently isn't your issue.

If the car has sat for a while the O2s could definitely be the problem, along with leaky injectors as was mentioned before. Those two are a "you get what you pay for" deal, quality stuff may be a little higher but worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm looking to sell the car haha so I just need something that will run for now I don't have the money to keep dropping into the car so I'm going to take out the o2 sensors and look at the wiring and stuff would they also cause the car to run rough?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Yes bad sensors will cause the car to run rough. If you don't want to spend the money, clean them at the very least. Or unplug the Maf and see if it runs better. It will force the car to run open loop and not use the o2's.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes bad sensors will cause the car to run rough. If you don't want to spend the money, clean them at the very least. Or unplug the Maf and see if it runs better. It will force the car to run open loop and not use the o2's.

Last time I tried that my car just died.... It's a 95 Formula.

·
Registered
740 Posts
That gas has to be going somewhere.
I can't even imagine the car would Run, if you're dumping that much fuel.
I mean, it would run like absolute shit, or blow a ring eventually.

Drain the oil, you might be throwing gas into the pan.
Check your gas tank, and lines for leaks.
(I had a gas leak going on for a year, and didn't even know how bad it was. The fuel can piss right out the back lines, and evaporates immediately, so you won't even smell the fuel sometimes. And these cars run like 40psi+, so you can have a nasty leak, and the engine wouldn't even bog down from lack of pressure.)

·
Registered
413 Posts
rockauto sells ac delco afs75 o2 sensors for $33.79 plus $6 shipping (2days for me). autozone sells them for 75 or 85 or something like that.

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
... Or unplug the Maf and see if it runs better. It will force the car to run open loop and not use the o2's...
you're wrong, 94-95 LT1 pcm will happily enter closed loop without a maf, even with the maf circuit failure code active, and the check engine light lit..

the only thing unplugging the maf is good for is checking if your maf is reading improperly, or tuning VE tables..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Try 93 octane. My mpg was horrible until I switched

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
Try 93 octane. My mpg was horrible until I switched
that's rediculous, obviously something is broken with knowledge of what octane actually does, and how timing and pre-ignition function. 93 octane with the stock timing tables is just throwing away money.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts