LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 z28 convertible m6 car.
Car was having overheating issues thought I ironed them all out so we took the car out today. Ran all day fine. Normal driving playing some. Ran a few errands. Eat dinner and on the way home tonight I was cruising in 4th decided to play a little dropped it to 3rd hammered it and ran it through the gears up to 100 or so. The car lost power and died. So I have no idea where to even start. Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok is there a cable on Amazon to use for scanning? I posted the link to one in the computer tech section but no one said if it would work or not. Also what is the best software to put on my laptop to scan and tune?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Question 1. That cable will not work. Your 95 Z28 Is an OBD1 vehicle. In 95, the cable looks like an OBD 2 connector, but will not read obd 2 equipment.

ALDL cable for OBD1

That should be the proper cable for you. As for tuning, you can use TunerPro, or there may be some free options. I seem to remember a member here posted a program for data logging and code scanning. Not sure if it also will tune. I would read around about what others say about the tuning software, and see what will work best for you.

I would suggest a dedicated OBD1 scan unit in the car. Having access to the codes at any time without needing a laptop is invaluable.

As a final heads up. this board isn't the most active, but there is amazing information if you are willing to use the search function, and do a little leg work. The stickies are a great start!

Good luck with your Z28!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've noticed it's a little slow. That's ok there is tons of info here. And I may see if I can find another board that may be a little more active. Thank you for your help. Do you have a recommendation on the dedicated scan unit?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well checked fire at coil nothing so got a ngk coil pack and started to replace it I was drilling out the rivets and broke the connector off the icm. Ran to the parts house and got it. Put it all back together and she's alive now. On to the next issue.... over heating and a leaking hose... the one that goes into the base of the throttle body. I love my car but prior to me getting her she was neglected. So her age and the prior neglect is hurting my wallet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I understand the pain! I paid $2400 for my 97, and then dumped 4 or 5k into parts to get her going again. Still very happy with it!

An easy way to eliminate that leak at your throttle body would be to just delete that connection. As a bonus, it will give you a smidgen of power, because you are not pulling your air through a warmed throttle body.

Throttle Body Bypass

As for your overheating, I would recommend dropping the coolant first. The LT1 takes a specific fill procedure to ensure that air doesn't get trapped in the system! Once again, tons of credit to Shoebox!

Coolant Drain and Fill

Good luck with your car! Feel free to post up some pictures at some point! I always love seeing everyone's projects!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Radiator has rust, over flow rust water pump prob original. Smh prob gonna replace it all including hoses. Any idea if there is a upgrade to our Radiators figured there can't be much out there due to the tight quarters.

·
Registered
1934 Corvette
10 Posts
Question 1. That cable will not work. Your 95 Z28 Is an OBD1 vehicle. In 95, the cable looks like an OBD 2 connector, but will not read obd 2 equipment.

ALDL cable for OBD1

That should be the proper cable for you. As for tuning, you can use TunerPro, or there may be some free options. I seem to remember a member here posted a program for data logging and code scanning. Not sure if it also will tune. I would read around about what others say about the tuning software, and see what will work best for you.

I would suggest a dedicated OBD1 scan unit in the car. Having access to the codes at any time without needing a laptop is invaluable.

As a final heads up. this board isn't the most active, but there is amazing information if you are willing to use the search function, and do a little leg work. The stickies are a great start!

Good luck with your Z28!
I’v just about given up on finding an OBD1 scanner. I’ve bought two……sent them back for refunds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 1995 z28 convertible m6 car.
Car was having overheating issues thought I ironed them all out so we took the car out today. Ran all day fine. Normal driving playing some. Ran a few errands. Eat dinner and on the way home tonight I was cruising in 4th decided to play a little dropped it to 3rd hammered it and ran it through the gears up to 100 or so. The car lost power and died. So I have no idea where to even start. Any ideas or suggestions?
O P T I S P A R K ! I've owned my Z28 for 20 years, gone through three units. If you can crank the engine hot, and the Tach needle won't move, the Crank Position Sensor isn't functioning, thus it's the Distributor or Opti, as it's called.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That is a really good tip.

I try not to blame the opti right away. I thought mine went bad at one point, but the issue was elsewhere, so I try to ensure that I have it nailed down before I toss parts at it. Try to save the money, even if it takes me a little longer.

·
Registered
1934 Corvette
10 Posts
O P T I S P A R K ! I've owned my Z28 for 20 years, gone through three units. If you can crank the engine hot, and the Tach needle won't move, the Crank Position Sensor isn't functioning, thus it's the Distributor or Opti, as it's called.
My 1995 Base Corvette is not equipped with a crank position sensor. That did not happen until 1996.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts