LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What up. I'm a newbie to this site and I've been racking my brain trying to figure out this problem.
I have a bone stock 1996 Lt1 Corvette that I use as my Daily driver. It's never given me any problems until recently. After it sits for 1 day or longer it has a real hard time starting but eventually starts after cranking over for at least 5 seconds. Sometimes it will crank over then just lock up like the engine is seized. I give it a few minutes then it will turn over again and eventually start after pumping the gas pedal. It then blows smoke out the exhaust which is unburnt gas.
Now I've owned a few Lt1's in the past and I know there's a common with the fuel pressure regs with these engines. I've replaced the FPR on this car a few years ago and my other LT1's never Locked Up because of that.
I'm wondering if anybody else has had the Lock Up issue with there LT1's or any other car for that matter.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
:banghead:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once it starts and runs for a minute it runs perfect. It has 106,xxx miles and had the optispark replaced around 60,xxx miles. I replaced the plugs and wires at 102,xxx and there's No ses light on. The thing still goes pretty good on the highway. Just beat a convertible 2010 Mustang GT 5.0 from 70-110 yesterday. lol. needless to say he wasn't happy getting beat by a stock 17 year old vette

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well it seems like you're getting plenty fuel, but if it's not getting ignited i'd think lack of spark. One of my Lt1 s had an ICM fail with enabled the car from starting. The coil could be on its way out also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well then it must have been a 2011 GT because it had the 5.0 badges on the side. I thought they put they new 5.0's in the Mustangs when they came out with the new body style. I don't really follow the Ford product line. The guy could've put 5.0 badges on a 4.6 also. I've seen wannabees do that shit before too but I can destroy 4.6's and this was a pretty close race.
Anyways I'll look over the ignition system. I've wanted to get some space between the coil and the head anyways for heat purposes. I don't know why this happens only when it sits for over a day though. If I start it everyday it doesn't act up.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
it could be a leaking fuel injector, spark plugs, spark plug wires, opti spark worn out, coil, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, fuel filter, starter it self...
do a simple test, check your wires, check plugs.
get your plugs out and start the engine see if fuel comes out from the plug wholes.
check your fuel injectors...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts