LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d like to start off this by saying my knowledge about cars is very limited as I am young and still barely getting into them as a project with my dad who also does not know a ton about cars, but figuring as we both love cars and have a few older and classic cars, it only made sense we began to learn about them.

With that being said, our first car we bought to really work on was a automatic (i know i know make fun of me but we got a really good deal that I didn’t want to pass up as it was one of my dream cars) 1994 C4 Corvette, mainly for me to drive as my daily. I’ve had it since October of 2020 (currently July 2021) with a few problems, but it still ran and drove.

to the best of my knowledge, I am the 3rd owner, and somewhere along the line a carburetor was added. A few problems I’ve had/am having right now are listed and described to the best of my abilities:

-fans would not shut off after car was turned off, killing the battery(fixed
-Overheating constantly and quickly(not fixed yet)
-Transmission seems to get stuck in second gear when driving(not fixed yet)

That’s the big problems I’ve noticed now. A few smaller problems but they’re simple fixes so I’m not too worried. Any help or even some educational tips would be appreciated.

·
Global Moderator
13,506 Posts
For the overheating problem, I believe that you have air trapped in system. When a car's radiator sits lower than engine, air must be bled out of cooling system or quick over heating takes place. There are 2 bleed valves in the piping near water pump. Shoebox site has pics of these bleed valves. And how to bleed the system. www.shbox.com

I don't know where you can download a free 94 vette service manual. But you can download a 94 F-body service manual at the following site. It should help you. www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

For your trans problem, you could have a bad trans, or it could be inhibited from shifting past 2nd gear by a code stored in computer. I understand that vette codes can be read without an obd 1 scanner. But you would have to go to a 4th gen vette site to find hout how to read codes.

An obd 1 scanner would do the job also. But, they are few and far between.

One last thing about cooling system. Lt1 engine is reverse cooled. This means cylinder heads get coolant before engine block. Because of this, attached to back of each cyl head is a steam pipe. This is used to allow steam build up to leave cyl heads and be carried back to radiator.

Because your lt1 has been modified with a carb, someone could have removed steam pipes. Shoebox site has diagram of F-body steam pipe system. Your vette lt1 should be pretty close to the F-body system.

If you plan on keeping this car, I suggest investing in factory service manual set. I also suggest you buying the deluxe Chilton service manual.

·
Global Moderator
13,506 Posts
Forgot to say, since car has carb, instead of fuel injection, the pcm (power train control module) had to be reprogramed for the changes. So you could suspect faulty programming as reason trans won't shift past 2nd gear. Your car uses the 4L60E computer controlled auto trans.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts