LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to put an aftermarket cam in my 97 trans am. I want something I can cruse with but also pull some horsepower.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Do you plan to have headwork or add headers? Where rpm wise do want your power at? Do you know what your rear end ratio is?

Generally speaking a cam is not going to do you much good without increasing flow and reprogramming your pcm. Check out Lloyd Elliot's site for a great set of matched performance packages. IMHO he is the man. Check out shoebox's site at shbox.com. he has a section with some great walkthroughs on common modifications and a plethora of reference materials and photographs of components. There are clickable diagrams that are uniquely awesome.

·
Global Moderator
13,611 Posts
If you would go to the lt1/lt4/l99 engine section, you'll find a thread there on cam selection. It's among the sticky threads at top of list.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you plan to have headwork or add headers? Where rpm wise do want your power at? Do you know what your rear end ratio is?

Generally speaking a cam is not going to do you much good without increasing flow and reprogramming your pcm. Check out Lloyd Elliot's site for a great set of matched performance packages. IMHO he is the man. Check out shoebox's site at shbox.com. he has a section with some great walkthroughs on common modifications and a plethora of reference materials and photographs of components. There are clickable diagrams that are uniquely awesome.
[/QUOTEhonestly

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly I'm completely new to this so I dont know what rpm range i would like, I may in the future put new headers on. Any suggestions on what I should put in considering I am newer to working on engines

·
Registered
82 Posts
Honestly I'm completely new to this so I dont know what rpm range i would like, I may in the future put new headers on. Any suggestions on what I should put in considering I am newer to working on engines
Check out lloyd elliots page. Elliotmotorsports.com i think...

Go with a very mild cam if you arent opening up your ports or exhaust. Add some 1.6 rockers for a kick.. but it may set you into limp mode by setting off knock sensor. Consider getting a pc, tune software and data cable to make changes to your pcm. Tunercat or hptuner are popular. You can reduce knock sensor effect and a million other things. Pcm4less or another mail tune can get you started. Compare files for changes, seeing trouble flags, log data to improve performance,idle or efficiency. It sounds like a lot but you can get it if you dive in.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Unfortunately, tunercat & hp tuners only work on obd 1 cars. Lanes trans am is a 97 obd 2 car.

Copy that. Ive got a couple extra 95 pcms and harnesses. They will come in handy im sure at some point. Its great to be able to tune.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts