LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why is it that ive never heard a single good thing about the lt1 engine? ive had mine for 2 years. a lot of work but it runs good. ive noticed not a lot of ppl like this motor and strongly prefer the ls1.

my question is. is ls1 really worth it? is it worth just modifying a lt1? what do they both run stock? and what makes the ls1 so special?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
why is it that ive never heard a single good thing about the lt1 engine? ive had mine for 2 years. a lot of work but it runs good. ive noticed not a lot of ppl like this motor and strongly prefer the ls1.

my question is. is ls1 really worth it? is it worth just modifying a lt1? what do they both run stock? and what makes the ls1 so special?
Having experienced both the LS1 it's a far better motor. I've worked and raced both, I love my LT1 and won't change it. But I do prefer the LS.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
377 Posts
maybe it is the LS1 ***411 PCM?
The most horror stories from the LT1 is the opti spark, yet a LT1 with the 24x conversion is nearly maintenance free.
And maybe the LT1 is 20 years old?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what about cost of repair and after market parts? is the ls1 easier to work on?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
what about cost of repair and after market parts? is the ls1 easier to work on?
No. The maintenance procedures Are about the same. The parts are about the same in price too. But the LS motor does make more power per mod.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
377 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
People strongly prefer the ls1 over the lt1 because it has more horsepower and torque but it comes later on down the rpm scale then the lt1s. An lt1s torque is pretty much there when u stomp it. But it runs out of breath top end as to the ls1 will just keep on pulling.
I have raced an Ls1 in my Lt1 car and i was a good 1 1/2 car lengths on him until 60 ish. Then he started walking away on me. Ls1 motors also respond to mods better then lt1s.
I still prefer the lt1 over an Ls1 just because of the Low end torque. And the Lt1 has an iron block so its pretty strong. The Ls1 has an aluminum block i beli believe but it's strong as well but also lighter then the lt1s iron block.
U can spend under a thousand and make an lt1 beat an Ls1. I would think it'd be worth building the lt1 bcuz they are cheaper then the ls1 to start out with. I cant find an ls1 motor here for anything less then 1,700$ and thats with 150k miles + plus .
I can find Lt1s here left and right for 300-700$ that are
In pretty good shape.
Too each their own i suppose.
They are BOTH great engines.

·
Registered
807 Posts
The thing is progress.I believe when GM designed the LT1 it was a big
change compared to the small block Chevy. So its basic evolution. I believe the Opti spark gives the LT1 a bad name,lots of problems and some mystery surround the Opti spark,even though there
are many Optis that have gone 100,000 plus miles,but its what comes after that ,all the fussing with the electrical system and all that.GM
made improvements on the LT1 and its called the LS1. ed

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
"never heard a single good thing about the lt1 engine" ? Wow, LOL. Human nature is going to tell you that when given a choice, the newer and more powerful engine is going to be preferred over the older. The LSx platform has now been in production about twice as long as the LT1 was. Maybe if the new Gen V LT1 goes well, the LSx will be tossed to the wayside. Progress.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The lt1 gets a bad rap, but that usually sprouts from people seeing lt1s that were not properly maintained and developing impressions from there. A well maintained lt1 will run great and they are no joke once you start upgrading. I actually like the fact that the vast majority of non camaro owners throw the lt1 into the "dog" category, because when they line up and the "lt1 body style" and think its going to be an easy win, they are usually surprised to say the least

·
Registered
366 Posts
Maybe if the new Gen V LT1 goes well, the LSx will be tossed to the wayside. Progress.
I was thinking the same way, imagine a LT7 or LT9 in the future. THEN people will start talking bad about the LS motors haha

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that is right. its usually a Honda or mustang boy. normally ppl who don't know anything about the 2 motors and just "heard" the ls1 is greatness.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have nothing against the ls1 btw. its a great motor.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yea guys Lt1s in our F bodies are old, but it is amazing how they can still beat ricer's, run great quarter mile times stock, can beat a lot of cars that are new and then some. In my opinion, LT1s are great fun, I have no complaints. Ls1s are great too, They are power houses . Wish I could afford one haha

·
Registered
740 Posts
I like my LT1, never blown an Opti yet, or fuel pump.

I just hate the Pass system. Probably going to bypass it sooner or later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts