LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I’m new to this forum and I’m seeking any help or advice from anyone who may know something. I have a 85 regal with a lt1 that was swapped from a 95 corvette. Engine is rebuilt with about 5,000 miles on it. There is oil leaking from the front that seems to be from the timing chain cover or something in that area. There is also oil leaking from the rear of the engine. I can’t figure out where the leak is in the rear. There was also some oil sprayed on the passenger side of the firewall after driving it. Any ideas on what this can be ?
EE1DC993-E846-41A3-9C9E-A3FB08214062.jpeg
7CF8E2B4-B451-4253-9B75-A7185A28D435.jpeg
A86A8CE3-309D-4E66-98AE-C1D965FBD378.jpeg
BBDD6070-1C73-4C5F-A29C-DE3D608C21F7.jpeg

·
Global Moderator
13,480 Posts
Oil coming from timing cover could be cover gasket. Also the opti oil seal, & the water pump oil seal.

Common place where oil leaks at rear of engine is where intake manifold goes over lifter valley. There's no gasket there and is sealed using silicone sealant.

What many people do is to spread the silicone onto lifter valley sealing surface. Then bolt intake down and torque the bolts. The correct procedure is to spread the silicon. Allow it to skin. Then put intake on. But instead of torquing the bolts down, you just snug them up. Then after 3 or 4 hours of cure time, you then torque the bolts down.

Also, oil pressure sender, located at back of intake, on drivers side is a source of leaks.

Bolt torque figures are available in 95 f-body factory service manual available at following link. While many things are different between vette & f-body, bolt torques will be the same. www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

·
Registered
3 Posts
Based on my experience with the 95 timing cover, I’d strongly suspect the Optispark to camshaft seal. Oil from that seal leaks down behind the Optispark, hits the balancer hub and is flung up, down and sideways. Makes a terrible mess. If leak is on drivers side of pan, take a good look at the fuel level sensor right above the drain plug in the pan. I actually had leaks in both of these places.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts