LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I FINALLY had the opportunity to race an LS1 T/A last weekend. He had an m6 with 3.73's behind it, he had a sweet looking lid with a skeleton on it, headers, and exhaust.

It all started out with a friendly conversation at Oreillys. He pulled up as I was walking out, he asked me about my Trans am, said hed seen it around our little town here and there and always wondered who drove it. He looked it over complemented me, and said he liked the sound of the lt1s.
We started talking about his car, and mods. When he popped the hood, I was drooling. Everything was clean!!! Even his interior was clean! Black leather, not a crack on the dash, and a nice aftermarket Ball shifter. This thing was a flawless piece of Pontiac's history. He claimed it put down a little North of 400rwhp.
When he asked me if I wanted to ride in it, you know I said "no."
riiiighhhhtttttt....
We rolled around town for a few, exchanged #s and once in a while he would pull it to 3 or 4k. Just enough to give me a taste, and leave me wanting more. When he asked me if I thought I could take him, I said "itd be close." knowing he's gonna wax my ass up and down the street.
Anyways, we got back to my car and I hopped in. I politely waited for him to get done in the store since I did in fact interrupt him and then I followed him out.
Fast forward to the highway....
( Go time )
We slowed down to about 40. And my rpms were around 4k. And he started honking. As soon as soon as the 3rd honk came out I got the hit. As soon as I switched to 3rd, he walked in front of me, passenger handle at my face. When I was around 5k rpms, I started pulling the lead back in. When I switched into 4th at 6,400 I had the lead but by maybe 2 feet. He quickly made the difference up. About the time I was rolling up to the red line he had the nose ahead of me and we both let out.
He rolled down his window and asked "how about a 30"? I said "Yea man let's do it!" I was thinking my low end torque would give me an edge, but then realized, shit I've got 4.10s Its gonna be maybe gas, then shift so I decided to start in second.
Once again, honk, honk, honk...I got the hit again but it didn't matter. He shot out and his tailight's were at my window. When I hit around 6,000 I pulled a couple of feet , but had to shift again at 6,400. Then he started pulling ahead again, just like before he was creeping away. Then once again, About 1k before I had to shift I pulled back up to were my nose was at his door handle and when it was time to shift he pulled to where my nose was at his tailights. He let out so it was over.
I was so freaking happy and sad at the same time. He told me my car is fast for a hotcam car, I said thanks! And we went on our way.

After all that , with all the mods in my sig. I still got beat by a intake/exhaust LS1. Those things pull like crazy up top! Ive raced a gto LS1, it pulled hard too but not like that T/A did. Holy cow was it fun though ! And I've gained a new friend. When I fix up my c4 vette and sell it I'll probably buy a ls1 trans am or c5.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Good read man!! Yeah those LS1's pull forever up top. I used to have an 02 z with intake and exhaust and I put it on an Lt1 C4 one night at the track. I am surprised that you didn't put a couple of car lengths on him with a cam and all the other mods.

Maybe he's got more done to the car then you think. Because if he's making north of 400 hp he's got way more than intake and exhaust.

My friend who's a member on here but sold his car awhile ago had long tubes, SLP lid, no cats, corsa, and a tune and made 330hp, and the tuners at Mayhem performance in Raleigh said that was really strong for a stock Ls1. His car was a 98 trans am M6 btw.

Either way your old Lt1 still hung tough and was in the lead at times!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea man , it was probably the BEST run I've ever had. You said raleigh, as in NC ? If your from NC we gotta get together dude ! I need to meet some NC LT owners. I live in Triad area.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Thats what i was thinkin he has more than a intake and exaust. To make north of 400 rwhp. But good story. I raced a 01 ws6 one day and he had mostly bolt ons and it was a m6 car i got the hit and i creamed him pretty bad there was no catching up and he said his best time was 13.3. It was a 20 roll i was in 1st

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice win man!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Haha yes theres not a lot of LTX people around here for sure. I heard that theres a f body group that gets together in Greensboro on friday nights? I was doing the math and if my friends firebird made 330 to the tires then it was making around 385 crank hp. So I guess with gears, intake and exhaust that guy you raced wouldn't need a whole lot more to pass 400 hp.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha yes theres not a lot of LTX people around here for sure. I heard that theres a f body group that gets together in Greensboro on friday nights? I was doing the math and if my friends firebird made 330 to the tires then it was making around 385 crank hp. So I guess with gears, intake and exhaust that guy you raced wouldn't need a whole lot more to pass 400 hp.
I live 30 miles from greensboro, I haven't heard of em :/ I posted a thread in the staging lane section about getting together with LTX guys but no one was interested / existed here lol
I guess you and I are a dying breed lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fun story, I am in Clemmons, building an LT1 for my RX7, would love to get out and cruise with some F bodies

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts