LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i ripped an LS1 and trans from a wrecked camaro and slapped it into my truck ( 83 ext. cab S10) would the computer have to be re-programmed for it to run properly or would it be able to run without it. It would seem logical to me that it would run fine if it ran good in the vehicle it was in but sometimes things are more complicated then they should seem to be.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Little more to it than that. A LS1 is not the same as a small block in terms of mounting and a '99 or newer will not work with your guages without some creativity. Plus, you would need a box to convert the speed sensor to a cable to run your speedometer. You would also need to program the PCM to eliminate the VATS ant-theft to get it to even start. It gets expensive rather quickly but if you want outstanding performance , worth it.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Unless you changed cams or something it should work just fine. If its 100% stock no need to reprogram anything, except to perhaps turn off some codes and SES lights for stuff you'd delete like rear 02 sensors, etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Actually, they're both right. A vehicle conversion is not a simple task, but as far as the engine actually running... there are a few details to convincing it to work correctly.

·
Registered
340 Posts
True, it (the pcm) will be looking for things that are not there in the truck. Like traction control, abs, evap, low coolant level, etc.
Juju is right as well, most of the gauges will require some work to get them operating and reading correctly.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The tach signal is a 4 cyl signal. That can be overcome by an aftermarket tach or a Dakota Digital interface adapter. A '98 only sender will cure the water temp problem . HPTuners will delete the unwanted functions in the PCM (VATS , rear 02s , traction control , etc.) Haven't found a way to get spot-on oil pressure readings. An Abbott cable box will solve the speedometer issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts