LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ebbie here from eastern shore of maryland.I have a 1962 impala 4sp 409 411 rear , This car mostly stock and think I want to do a LS conversion. Want a motor and trans to bolt in without modifications so that i can shrink wrap the original and store. Want it to be able to go back in the car to keep its integrity . Has anyone done this successfully ?

·
Global Moderator
13,678 Posts
I believe you will need the mission impossible team to fulfill your request. At the very least you would have to modify the k-member for ls type motor mounts. While the ls mod can be done, it's going to need a different exhaust system, engine/trans wiring harness. Then there's the gauge cluster. The ls generation uses gauges controlled by pcm and bcm.

Drive shaft will need to be modified for ls trans, as original most likely will not be the correct length, or number of splines that go into trans.

As I have said; the conversion is doable, just don't expect to be able to pull ls engine & trans in future, and expect the old 409 to boly right back in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe you will need the mission impossible team to fulfill your request. At the very least you would have to modify the k-member for ls type motor mounts. While the ls mod can be done, it's going to need a different exhaust system, engine/trans wiring harness. Then there's the gauge cluster. The ls generation uses gauges controlled by pcm and bcm.

Drive shaft will need to be modified for ls trans, as original most likely will not be the correct length, or number of splines that go into trans.

As I have said; the conversion is doable, just don't expect to be able to pull ls engine & trans in future, and expect the old 409 to boly right back in.
Thank you

·
Global Moderator
13,678 Posts
Easiest swap I can think of is a big block 454. Still would need different exhaust system, and maybe different motor mounts. Use a 1970 or 1971 454 as 74 & later are way down on horse power & torque.

You can probably find a new 454 with about 350 hp at one of the high performance parts dealers like Jegs, Summit Racing, etc. But expect to pay a lot of $$$$$ for a new engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Easiest swap I can think of is a big block 454. Still would need different exhaust system, and maybe different motor mounts. Use a 1970 or 1971 454 as 74 & later are way down on horse power & torque.

You can probably find a new 454 with about 350 hp at one of the high performance parts dealers like Jegs, Summit Racing, etc. But expect to pay a lot of $$$$$ for a new engine.
Thank you

·
Global Moderator
13,678 Posts
Fuel injected engines require a computer and wire harness that matches injected 454.

Your best bet is a 454 with a carb. Only minor wiring changes would be needed. There is no engine substitution you can do without any changes would be to install another 409 into the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts